Gibson Brands Forums

Did Johnny Cash own any electrics ?

JuanCarlosVejar

Own? Maybe, but I doubt it (recall a picture of him in his den, there was an archtop, no Es.) But he never aspired to be a picker. Singer/ Writer, sure. He hired* pickers.

*(that right there, by the way, is the pecking order in the music biz, unless you are amazing).

I don't recall seeing Cash with an electric, but at the time of his death he owned nearly 100 guitars. I wouldn't be surprised if a few of them were electrics, maybe given to him as gifts. Also, Johnny performed thousands of shows. I've seen pics of him onstage with a mandolin, a bass, a banjo, so he possibly played an electric once-in-a-while, but not it was not typically him.

BTW, Rambler brings-up an interesting point. Marty Stuart lived down the road from Cash and they used to walk back-and-forth to each other's home. Stuart says that Cash was a far-better guitar player then he would ever give himself credit for. He said that at home Cash would play the lead riffs to songs, but almost never do it on stage. Stuart asked him why he didn't do that during his shows and Cash said that's why he had him (Marty) and Bob Wootoon (lead picker). However, after Cash signed with Rick Rubins and started doing some solo acoustic shows, he did play the riffs for songs like Folsom, Walk the Line.

I've been a fan of his since "I walk the Line", days and have never seen him with an electric guitar. I did see an interview once where he stated he didn't consider himself much of a guitar player. He said he only played in the key of G major.

Archived