Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Masterbuilt AJ500M Owners....

EpiAlan

I already have a Masterbuilt AJ500R (Rosewood)...(Love it very much)...I am considering also getting an AJ500M (Mahogany). What Volume and Tonal differences might be expected to be found between the two tone woods on these AJ guitars? --And which wood, Rosewood, or Mahogany, do you consider to be most suited and most complementary for Vocal work? My personal Vocal acoustic music genre is the 60's through 90's era if that helps..Dillon, James Taylor, Cat Stevens, Doors, Eagles, etc. Thank you for your help on this. Details and YOUR personal views on the differences between Rosewood, and Mahogany tone woods...I will devour every word you write with seriousness. Thanks again to all the great people in here!

I already have a Masterbuilt AJ500R (Rosewood)...(Love it very much)...I am considering also getting an AJ500M (Mahogany). What Volume and Tonal differences might be expected to be found between the two tone woods on these AJ guitars? --And which wood, Rosewood, or Mahogany, do you consider to be most suited and most complementary for Vocal work? My personal Vocal acoustic music genre is the 60's through 90's era if that helps..Dillon, James Taylor, Cat Stevens, Doors, Eagles, etc. Thank you for your help on this. Details and YOUR personal views on the differences between Rosewood, and Mahogany tone woods...I will devour every word you write with seriousness. Thanks again to all the great people in here!

I think Hog has the mid-range that makes for a great strummer. I also think that maple shares that trait, although the guitar may benefit from being larger when maple is used. To me, rosewood is very bass oriented, with a lot of overtones, and trebles that can sound amazing when finger plucked, but almost too jangly when strummed.

I don't claim to know what most singer/songwriters prefer, but if I had to take a guess, I would say they prefer mahogany or maple over rosewood.

The only comparison I can make is with Classical guitars. To echo strumbert Rosewood is the preferred wood for classical guitars, but it maybe that the cedar top helps mellow out the any harsh tones. Not sure if that is of much help since AJ500 has a spruce top, but I would love to have one of each.

Oddly enough I was thinking of looking for an AJ-500R to with my two Mahog masterbilts! I like the strumming of my mahogany guitars, but my brother (who has a DR-500MCE) is convinced rosewood sounds better for solo's and wants a Gibson Songbird CE. I would agree with him there.

Oddly enough I was thinking of looking for an AJ-500R to with my two Mahog masterbilts! I like the strumming of my mahogany guitars, but my brother (who has a DR-500MCE) is convinced rosewood sounds better for solo's and wants a Gibson Songbird CE. I would agree with him there.

A Rosewood guitar just seems to have that creamy smooth sound, especially with PB strings.For musical solos I believe it it the best sounding, very thick, rich, and rounded out tones. I have three Rosewoods at the present. A Martin J-40 Jumbo....a Taylor 815ce....and finally, my Epi Masterbuilt AJ500R which, (and this is a fact), at $599 is able to compete...100% with both the Martin and Taylor, both of which cost over $3000.00. In fact I play my Masterbuilt Rosewood MORE than any guitar I own. By all means, round out your stall with a good Rosewood. Unfortunately the AJ500R is out of production. I bought the very last new one that I know of nation wide on MF. There has been a run on the AJ500R,and they are gone, and they can now only be bought second hand on ebay as used or refurbished. I fell in love with it so much that I have just decided to buy the one you have...the AJ500M because these are the best guitars I have ever bought in my life for the money and they are still available...and I have been playing 35 years, and owned 23 top notch, high end, wildly expensive guitars, including the glorious Gibson rosewood AJ, the Gibson maple SJ-200, and the Gibson mahogany Southern Jumbo, Martin rosewood HD-28, and many ridiculous priced Taylors..all of which cost THOUSANDS.Sure they all sounded good. But our Masterbuilts are more delightful to play and hear than ANY of those, and I sold them all. I guess I have become a bit resentful, even angry, that I was conned over the years by the big guitar companies into thinking that you can only get a good guitar if you spend thousands..it just is NOT true. And the Masterbuilts have proved this. Some say I exaggerate here. Water off a ducks back. I know fine guitars when I see and hear and play them. Period. I say they, like me, were resentful to hear that a mere $500 to $600 guitar can play and compete as good as a $2500 guitar.You are one of the smart ones owning a Masterbuilt. Stay that way..lol..or you will end up throwing away thousands for nothing! Others have the right to their opinion. I have money in the bank now and still own fine Masterbuilt guitars at 1/4 the price! ........Anyway, I digress...go get that rosewood!..you will love it...and by the way...how do you like your AJ500M? It has got excellent reviews. I've heard Mahogany excels for vocal work because it does not have all the overtones of rosewoods rich notes, which, as beautiful as they are, can sometimes interfere and compete with your singing voice.

Archived