Gibson Brands Forums

What's the best Epi Electric under $200?

20_Gauge

Thanks for the suggestions, brian & jc.

Them are some really good lookin' guitars but $225 is more than I wanna spend on an Electric since I also hafta buy an amp too(another $100+). I might look @ those in the future.

Thanks for the suggestions, brian & jc.

Them are some really good lookin' guitars but $225 is more than I wanna spend on an Electric since I also hafta buy an amp too(another $100+). I might look @ those in the future.

Alright then, here's the deal. Since you don't seem to care what kind of guitar you'll get, spend the money on the amp instead. The amp is the most important part of your rig in regard to what sound you'll be getting out of it. So just buy the cheapest available decent guitar (maybe the cheapest LP special or something, don't go to no-name brands/copies or you'll be getting trash), and give the spare money from the 200 bucks on the amp. Ideally, you could get a bedroom tube amp for the best sound, provided the money is enough. Unless you want to gig it, in which case go for a bigger solid state instead. Cheap amp is a no-no. The best guitar in the world through a cheap amp sounds crap. The worst guitar in the world through an amazing amp sounds great.

Most people who start seem to think that amps are all pretty much the same and the guitars make the difference, so they spend more money on the guitar and less on the amp. It's actually the other way around. 10 guitars will sound almost the same in 1 amp, but 1 guitar will sound totally different in 10 different amps.

That said, the guitar has to make you want to play it... So never buy a guitar you don't like to save money. Those are the two sides of the coin. It depends on your character. If you're sure you don't care about the looks of your rig but the sound, go for better amp and ok guitar. If you want to be more excited about playing, go for ok amp and good guitar. Consider it carefully and choose what's the best for YOU. No one else can answer that question.

Alright then, here's the deal. Since you don't seem to care what kind of guitar you'll get, spend the money on the amp instead. The amp is the most important part of your rig in regard to what sound you'll be getting out of it. So just buy the cheapest available decent guitar (maybe the cheapest LP special or something, don't go to no-name brands/copies or you'll be getting trash), and give the spare money from the 200 bucks on the amp. Ideally, you could get a bedroom tube amp for the best sound, provided the money is enough. Unless you want to gig it, in which case go for a bigger solid state instead. Cheap amp is a no-no. The best guitar in the world through a cheap amp sounds crap. The worst guitar in the world through an amazing amp sounds great.

Most people who start seem to think that amps are all pretty much the same and the guitars make the difference, so they spend more money on the guitar and less on the amp. It's actually the other way around. 10 guitars will sound almost the same in 1 amp, but 1 guitar will sound totally different in 10 different amps.

That said, the guitar has to make you want to play it... So never buy a guitar you don't like to save money. Those are the two sides of the coin. It depends on your character. If you're sure you don't care about the looks of your rig but the sound, go for better amp and ok guitar. If you want to be more excited about playing, go for ok amp and good guitar. Consider it carefully and choose what's the best for YOU. No one else can answer that question.

Great sound advice, Aethyr. Thanks mann! [thumbup]

Yeah, I wanted to stick to brands that well-known brands(Gibson, Epiphone, Fender, Squier) & stay away from off-brands(brands I've never heard of).

I learned a big lesson from this. I was in the thinkin that the guitar was more important than the amp, boy was I wrong(not the first time lol). "That said, the guitar has to make you want to play it... So never buy a guitar you don't like to save money." This staetement really helped my make my final decision on an Electric guitar. After reading this, I've decided to go with the LP Special II(http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-les-paul-special-ii-electric-guitar). I was goin' to go with the LP Junior Special($20 cheaper) but I always came back to lookin' @ the LP Special II.

I'm not plannin' to play any gigs or anything like that. This is just gonna be something to play around the house(or garage) as a hobby/recreation. That bein' sid, the amp I'm lookin' at is a Fender Mustang I(http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/fender-mustang-i-20w-1x8-guitar-combo-amp). Also saw this little Practice Amp(not sure what this means) by Peavy (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/peavey-solo-guitar-practice-amp).

What's your opinion of this guitar & amp combo for recreational playing?

Great sound advice, Aethyr. Thanks mann! [thumbup]

Yeah, I wanted to stick to brands that well-known brands(Gibson, Epiphone, Fender, Squier) & stay away from off-brands(brands I've never heard of).

I learned a big lesson from this. I was in the thinkin that the guitar was more important than the amp, boy was I wrong(not the first time lol). "That said, the guitar has to make you want to play it... So never buy a guitar you don't like to save money." This staetement really helped my make my final decision on an Electric guitar. After reading this, I've decided to go with the LP Special II(http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-les-paul-special-ii-electric-guitar). I was goin' to go with the LP Junior Special($20 cheaper) but I always came back to lookin' @ the LP Special II.

I'm not plannin' to play any gigs or anything like that. This is just gonna be something to play around the house(or garage) as a hobby/recreation. That bein' sid, the amp I'm lookin' at is a Fender Mustang I(http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/fender-mustang-i-20w-1x8-guitar-combo-amp). Also saw this little Practice Amp(not sure what this means) by Peavy (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/peavey-solo-guitar-practice-amp).

What's your opinion of this guitar & amp combo for recreational playing?

I haven't personally tried these two amps. I only ever used one Solid State amp in my life before switching to tube/hybrid/software solutions. I've heard great things about the Mustang. As far as I know, a lot of people will recommend it. Never heard anything about the peavey, but they make good amps usually. Maybe other people will be able to help you out more, I've personally been using Software for a while now (actually, I even sold off my amp). It is something to consider if you already own a decent PC with a good sound system.

I haven't personally tried these two amps. I only ever used one Solid State amp in my life before switching to tube/hybrid/software solutions. I've heard great things about the Mustang. As far as I know, a lot of people will recommend it. Never heard anything about the peavey, but they make good amps usually. Maybe other people will be able to help you out more, I've personally been using Software for a while now (actually, I even sold off my amp). It is something to consider if you already own a decent PC with a good sound system.

That's cool, Aethyr. Yeah, I've had the Mustang suggested tome(from members here) on more than 1 occasion.

What is the Software? It sounds like somethin' worth checkin' out. It might be a better deal for me since I'm just gonna be playin' my Electric(when I get it) around the house for a hobby. I have both a Laptop & Desktop with great sound systems.

Yes!!! This is the way to do it. You're MUCH better off with a good used guitar than a new cheap one.

Yeah Blueman, it's took awhile to set in but I've realized this is the way to go. I'm goin' with an LP Studio($249) that I found on musiciansfriend.com.

That's cool, Aethyr. Yeah, I've had the Mustang suggested tome(from members here) on more than 1 occasion.

What is the Software? It sounds like somethin' worth checkin' out. It might be a better deal for me since I'm just gonna be playin' my Electric(when I get it) around the house for a hobby. I have both a Laptop & Desktop with great sound systems.

Well, if you're interested in using a software solution you still need a decent external sound card. Usually a good entry level USB interface will cost more, but the good thing about it is that you can always use it for more than electric guitar playing. I recommend the M-audio Fast track Pro. Then you use software such as Guitar Rig. There's a demo version you can try. Personally I use the Linux equivalent, since I'm not a Windows user.

But there are cheaper solutions out there, I'm sure. I know Line6 makes some great cheap USB interfaces that put even 10 times more expensive amps to shame.

Starting with software is usually a tad more expensive, but it doesn't become redundant like amplifiers. However, some people (like me) are lucky because they already have the infastructure lying around - especially if you're an audiophile who's just starting an instrument, you're very likely to have everything or almost everything you need.

Spend an extra $25 and you can get this:

al2000tbsbird5.jpg

http://www.rondomusi...000birdtsb.html

Rondo has some great guitars, I have several guitars from the GFS pickup company-they are called Xavieres. I have a Telecaster and a Les Paul Special w/P90 pickups that are killer guitars and were less than $200. They both have solid wood bodies-poplar for the Tele and mahoganey set neck for the Special-and they both have a maple veneer for a nice high end. I really love the tones of the Special with those P90s!!!!!!!!!!

Here is a photo of the Tele-

XV-835-1.jpg

Here is the L P Special-

XaviereXV-440.jpg

Xaviere site-

http://store.guitarfetish.com/Xaviere-Electric-Guitars_c_116.html

Thanks y'all for the great suggestions. [thumbup]

For ny first Electric, I'm just gonna go to George's & try a few. I'm really focused on the Dot & the LP Studio, leaning toward the LP(seen a few of my favoorite artists playin'em).

Archived