Gibson Brands Forums

SG Special / SG Standard

1998StandardSG

Even though I have been fortunate enough to own both an SG Special and an SG Standard I never really sat down and compared the sound between the two. I always knew that my special had a bit more of a snappy tone to it and the standard a more warm tone. So after years of not doing this (I procrastinate) I decided to sit down and play these guitars back to back.

As I mentioned, I always knew that the special was snappy but what I realize now after playing them back to back is that the special sounds like it's out of phase. So I dug deeper and looked at the wiring and see that everything is wired the same. So now I'm a bit puzzled because I've heard other SG Specials after doing this and no video clip that I come across sounds like my special.

Not too certain what is going on with this guitar but I have heard that in the past some guitars have been sent out accidentally out of phase. How often this happens, I don't know...

Has anyone else experienced this or are my ears just playing tricks on me??? Also, for my reference the specials come with dual 490s and the standard comes with 490r 498t. Correct?

I own an SG Special Faded with the 490 pairing and a LP Studio Tribute with 490R/498T. The 490T has an alnico II magnet giving it an upper mid boost and is wound less hot as opposed to the 498T with its Alnico V magnet and more numerous windings. As such, the 490T will always sound "weaker" and brighter when given the same rig settings as a 498T. Perhaps what you are hearing on clips is the 490T with more being thrown at it (via amp settings and pedals) than you've been giving it. I happen to think that, while less hot to start with, the 490T takes whatever gain it is given extremely well. BTW, do you have the pickup heights set the same?

Anyway, IMO, this video (NOT by me) gives a really good comparison of the two guitars using identical amp settings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbKj8cxGLso&feature=plcp

AlanH, thank you for your feedback. I can hear the sound difference but I think mine is more "snappy" than the special in the video you linked. I think what I'm going to is neutral my eq setting to straight 7s and set my camera and mic up and link a video.

The pickup heights are not the same with the special. The Neck is so hot that I had to sink it to almost level with the pick guard and it's still hotter. When I select both pickups and roll the rhythm volume back to about 6, I get a very nice sound.

Funny. I have a 99 Special (Not faded, just Special) with the 490's. The bridge pup is very weak compared to the neck...I have it set pretty high to balance them. I love the way it sounds, but the special sounds very different from my 2002 LP Special Faded that has similar 490's and the same strings.

I like my SG Special more and more every time I play it, and I am still discovering how versatile they can be.

mark

Funny. I have a 99 Special (Not faded, just Special) with the 490's. The bridge pup is very weak compared to the neck...I have it set pretty high to balance them. I love the way it sounds, but the special sounds very different from my 2002 LP Special Faded that has similar 490's and the same strings.

I like my SG Special more and more every time I play it, and I am still discovering how versatile they can be.

mark

I would love to hear it sometime, any videos with it? I am really liking the special models now and would like to try a Les Paul Special sometime soon. I tried a melody maker and that was pretty cool. I still like the Standards but I think my dream is to still have a Les Paul and SG Custom...

Archived