Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge Lift on AJ

crankykentucky

Hello--

I have a 2006 Custom AJ with the red spruce top. I am seeing a small amount of bridge lift on the lower side of the bridge.

Is it always better to have a luthier completely remove the bridge and then re-glue it or at this point, is it just better to have a luthier try to glue/clamp it as it is?

I am wondering because I have heard cases of bridges being installed incorrectly and throwing the intonation off.

What a bummer.

How much lift do you have....try slipping a single sheet of paper under the lifted corner and post your findings. There are many capable repairpeople visiting this site and offering advice. Reglueing a bridge is fairly routine for an experienced repairperson so, I wouldnt sweat it. The key is finding someone with a good reputation.

My own method, other opinions abound. If I can gently push the bridge back down into position with little effort I will usually just shoot a little glue into the gap. A can of computer-type compressed air is a big help. Then clamp, wipe up the excess with a damp (not wet!) cloth and tomorrow all will be good. There's no reason to go any deeper. If the bridge doesn't want to cooperate and lay back down then there is a reason! Removing a bridge is not a fun job, ever, but I've had to do my share. I always go for the least intrusive method though.

Thanks for all of the information. This space is about business card thickness and only runs about 1- 1/2 inch from the end of the bridge.

Can you all recommend a good Gibson certified shop in or north of the Nashville area? I would like it done right, you know?

I am sure it is beyond my rough woodworking skills! Although I did finish the letter holder project in high school! LOL

Thanks for all of the information. This space is about business card thickness and only runs about 1- 1/2 inch from the end of the bridge.

Can you all recommend a good Gibson certified shop in or north of the Nashville area? I would like it done right' date=' you know?

I am sure it is beyond my rough woodworking skills! Although I did finish the letter holder project in high school! LOL[/quote']

I would take it to the Gibson Store in the Opryland Mall -- They are a Gibson dealer and are qualified (last I looked) to do Gibson warranty work.

Fred

Archived