Gibson Brands Forums

Registering of vintage Gibsons

capmaster

Hello,

recently I came to wondering if Gibson would support subsequent registration of older instruments, eventually built and purchased long before the world wide web era took off. Is this possible, and if so, could you provide a link please?

Thank you,

capmaster

Hello,

recently I came to wondering if Gibson would support subsequent registration of older instruments, eventually built and purchased long before the world wide web era took off. Is this possible, and if so, could you provide a link please?

Thank you,

capmaster

It's certainly possible and a great idea from my perspective; but my intuition tells me that Gibson would probably not support. Financial commitment is one thing that comes to mind. But there's also the issue of serial number duplication (depending on how old you're referring to). It would be great to see this duplication revealed by actual owners, but would Gibson? There's also the issue of the continued use of the 6-digit serial number by the original Kalamazoo plant in the mid to early-late 1970's when they were suppose to change to the 8-digit system that was used from 1975-1977 (by the new Nashville plant). This again would reveal some possible ambiguities that might make heads spin. I do have one question. What would be the purpose, in your mind, for the registration? Would it be to better date older instruments? Or to simply have the instrument on record? Or some other reason?

You are aware of The Guitar Date Project (http://guitardaterproject.org/default.aspx). Not really a registration, but a way to search serial numbers and pot codes to determine the year of your guitar. But the data you get back is often ambiguous at best. Not their fault, but again the Gibson serial number issue I mention before. I suspect they collect their data from various sources, and it might be possible to collaborate with an already up and running site like the dater project to "register" older guitars. Just an idea. Kris

.... wondering if Gibson would support subsequent registration of older instruments .....

AFAIK - no.

They register the original owner only. Even in the case of web-re sellers - those individuals that buy/acquire new Gibsons and then re-sell them through an outlet like fleaBay - Gibson will not register those guitars and their life-time warranties are not transferable.

Thank you very much for your replies, flynvfr and BigKahune.

My thought just was to let the Gibson Company know who owns the instruments, and to express this way that they are highly regarded. I never would try to pretend being the original owner of my older guitars I bought used but am just proud to own them.

I know about the general problem with 6-digits serial numbers. Results obviously may depend on both guitar model AND number, and results can be coarse sometimes. On the other hand, some special details as e. g. shape and material of fretboard inlays, number of pieces body and neck are made of, pots value and characteristics may help to find out more exactly.

I will try the provided link to find out something perhaps useful to know.

Archived