Gibson Brands Forums

any seen any CF-100Es around

DCBirdMan

Been thinkin' bout these. Any known to be for sale - off the beaten path of ebay/gbase ...

They seem to come up for sale only 'now and then'. Not that many examles made...original OR reissue. I really like my '57. Tis been said that they can bury it with me....or $3K...whichever comes first.... ;)

They seem to come up for sale only 'now and then'. Not that many examles made...original OR reissue. I really like my '57. Tis been said that they can bury it with me....or $3K...whichever comes first.... ;)

Well you also know a lot about the J-160e -- everyone says the smaller bodies CF-100e, sort like an LG-2 cutway w/ a pickup sounds better acoustically even tho smaller body, cause of X bracing.

thing is, J-160e you can find. CF 100e, not so much, and the few that are, at their age are usually beat.

Seems like 3K would be a decent price for one in decent shape.

How do the reissues compare w/ originals?

I am not sure how the reissues stack up against the originals!

I am not an expert but have a lot of 'book knowledge' that I have acquired over many years and believe much of what has been written by those who ARE expert.

The lack of CF100E's on the market is due to lower production numbers of that model as compared to the J160E's of comparable years. From 1951-1959 a total of (1245) CF100E were built. From a high of 250 in '51 to a low of 55 in '59. They were not highly regarded at the time and did not sell very well. There were only 117 produced in 1957 compared to 286 J160E.

Gibson built more J160E(1320) in its first 3 years(1954-1956) than the total 9 year run of the CF100E.

Its all in the numbers :)

Interesting -- I guess since the J 160e was doing better, the CF 100-E bit the dust at the end of the 50s. It's really no different that the Les Paul which wasn't doing well either, and why it was 'reinvented' as the SG.

Then things come back. Heck in the mid 60s, with Fender, it was all about Jaguars and Mustangs, and Teles and Strats really weren't all that popular -- just thought of as older, less interesting models. And they sure came back.

I'll keep an eye out for one and just go w/ a J 160E in the meantime, I guess.

Interesting -- I guess since the J 160e was doing better, the CF 100-E bit the dust at the end of the 50s. It's really no different that the Les Paul which wasn't doing well either, and why it was 'reinvented' as the SG.

Then things come back. Heck in the mid 60s, with Fender, it was all about Jaguars and Mustangs, and Teles and Strats really weren't all that popular -- just thought of as older, less interesting models. And they sure came back.

I'll keep an eye out for one and just go w/ a J 160E in the meantime, I guess.

Hey Man, get what your wallet will buy.....You won,t regret it [thumbup]

• 2 months later...

1957 CF-100E

Good condition, all original

One crack in back approx. 6” long has been reglued

Original tuning pegs are deteriorating, need replacement

Normal lacquer cracking, some minor dings, but solid and sounds good.

In the DC area

Here's link to a photo gallery: http://silenceisgoldendc.smugmug.com/Other/Gibson-CF100-E/24966442_TFWfSM#!i=2045680777&k=VqFxZqc&lb=1&s=A

Thanks a bunch!....VERY SWEET [love] Looks a lot like mine FON 9758, I wonder if they are cousins??? Not that I can afford or 'need' it at this time......what is your asking price?

Here is my sweet '57...

1482529020066230676S500x500Q85.jpg

BTY, I have the same type (similar) 'finish-graze' -type crack on the back treble side of mine. Maybe 3.5 " long...

And ....possibly a crack 'developing' on the bass bout waist as well by looking at the picture, which was taken when I purchased it in winter of '06.

http://inlinethumb04.webshots.com/52227/1482529328066230676S600x600Q85.jpg

She is in far-better condition after living with me for 6 years.... [scared][woot]

Oh yeah. It looks identical. It's interesting that yours has such a similar crack. I'm not sure what to ask for it, probably need to take it to a vintage shop for valuation.

I guess they do look identical, mine is #15 of the same run! I don,t understand why you are not forthcoming with the fact that it is on Ebay......rather elusive.

Good Luck on the sale!

I have sold a few things on eBay. It is actually kind of a tough gig. Probably is a lot tougher without any feedback. If it doesn't sell then you might consider finding a friend that has an established feedback rating.

Oh yeah. It looks identical. It's interesting that yours has such a similar crack. I'm not sure what to ask for it, probably need to take it to a vintage shop for valuation.

Hi, I just messaged you on this.

Been lookin' for one of these.

And as my screen name suggests, I am in DC area.

Sorry Retro, no intent to deceive. Just looking to learn more, unsure what is appropriate to post where. Had not seen postings with links to eBay.

No worries RG. Gotta do what you gotta do. I am watching your auction to see how it goes. Good luck!

Sorry Retro, no intent to deceive. Just looking to learn more, unsure what is appropriate to post where. Had not seen postings with links to eBay.

Just a bit of a suggestion: if you want to sell on ebay, don't set an opening bid price of what the guitar might actually be worth. No one is likely to bid.

Just a bit of a suggestion: if you want to sell on ebay, don't set an opening bid price of what the guitar might actually be worth. No one is likely to bid.

Another hint....Don't try to sell at full-blown price on Ebay as a 'newbie' with no sales history.....Try to build up a good track record as a 'seller' of other items before putting high-ticket items out there....!

THAT being said....I like your guitar!!!

Archived