Gibson Brands Forums

LGO replacement bridge

sdgails

I thought I was doing my luthier a favor by grabbing an online replacement, but by the time he'd have shaped it the footprint wouldn't have covered the old scars from removing the other. He recommended letting the repairman choose the replacement from his or her supplier. I let him do his thing and donated my find to his parts box and it came out beautifully. There are Ebayers who sell them though, and I'm sure many other parts guys.

I thought I was doing my luthier a favor by grabbing an online replacement, but by the time he'd have shaped it the footprint wouldn't have covered the old scars from removing the other. He recommended letting the repairman choose the replacement from his or her supplier. I let him do his thing and donated my find to his parts box and it came out beautifully. There are Ebayers who sell them though, and I'm sure many other parts guys.

Generally speaking, any luthier who knows his stuff may prefer to make his own bridge, as he can fine-tune it if necessary to cover scars, etc. When replacing an old bridge, they will sometimes make the new one very slightly oversized to give a cleaner installation unless absolute authenticity is required. Any decenet luthier will have a number of templates from which the new bridge can be made, to replicate whatever you have.

Ross Teigen made a new bridge for my old J-45, and he selected a very dark piece of Brazilian to closely match the fretboard. That's the type of detail you get when you take your guitar to a guy who really knows his stuff. It's worth the few extra bucks it will cost to do it this way.

Archived