Gibson Brands Forums

Tube Screamer or Sparkle Drive?

Andrew Riggs

My friend has a tube screamer and its awesome and its a classic but I'm about to buy my first pedal and I'm deciding between these two. The sparkle Drive is suppose to have nice clarity which is a plus for me because most overdrive pedals muddy the clarity somewhat. Which one do ya'll like best?

I thought you were looking for an OD or a DIS pedal........[confused] ..........

Lots of folks like Tube Screamers, modded TS pedals, and the many clones......I'll never use a TS pedal, although I probably own some clones.....[flapper] .....

EDITED: The Voodoo Lab "Sparkle Drive"........I'd get the new pre-modded one.....

One of the Gibby C.S. guys who tours uses one of those Voodoo Sparkle drives; I'm not sure which one......

I know a guitarist selling a Wampler Plextortion for $140.00.....I can hook you up.....

One of the Gibby C.S. guys who tours uses one of those Voodoo Sparkle drives; I'm not sure which one......

I know a guitarist selling a Wampler Plextortion for $140.00.....I can hook you up.....

I saw the sparkle drive under the overdrive section! What is a wampler Plex like? Is it as clear as the sparkle drive?

I saw the sparkle drive under the overdrive section! What is a wampler Plex like? Is it as clear as the sparkle drive?

That was my bad.....I was thinking about the TC Spark boost drive........The Voodoo Sparkle Drive is probably what you are after.......

It has a gain section based (kinda) on a Tube Screamer, but it lets you mix in a clean signal as well.........So, it's a boost of sorts,

and an overdrive, and an overdrive that lets you mix in a seperate "clean" signal as well......I have a couple of Way Huge PorkLoins

that work like the Voodoo does; Lets me mix signals within the box.....Checkout the soundclips available online.....There's a couple of

Sparkle Drive models now....I suggest the pre-modded one...For disclosure, I don't own one yet, but have used one a couple times.........

The Plextortion is a Marshall emulator..........

Tube screamers are great, they offer a lot of control throughout the range, and good compression for playing single notes compared to chords, for the purpose of a "stompbox" or boost for leads.

The only complaint I have myself is that it has this midrangy burnished tone that is always there and can't be dialed out. So, however it is set, it always sounds like a "Tubescreamer".

What is cool about the sparkledrive, is that it is basically a Tubescreamer, sounds like a tubescreamer, and acts like one...BUT it also has a clean boost level you can dial in along with the regular Tubescreamer effect. The distorted sounds still sound the same as a ts-style OD, but the clean volume control lets you dial in some cleans at the same time and get away from that "tubescreamer" midrangy thing when wanting to use it for a boost.

Not to complicate things, but you may want to test the Fulltone OCD pedal as well as the TS and Sparkle Drive. When I did, I went with the OCD. Except for a wah and volume pedal, it's the only effects pedal I use regularly.

The only complaint I have myself is that it has this midrangy burnished tone that is always there and can't be dialed out. So, however it is set, it always sounds like a "Tubescreamer"....

Unless they have been modded by someone competent! [biggrin]

Archived