Gibson Brands Forums

Which is the better A/E for the $$?

20_Gauge

I gotta black Ford truck, so I totally understand how much work it takes to keep it lookin' good. Oh well, it's worth it.

lol

Save your money on a stock A/E, get a Epi Ebony Dove, and then save up a little more and get a B-Band A2.2 or K&K Pure Western put in it. And of course get the case. You will end up spending about $600 or so for all of it, but you can start with only the Dove, then get more as you can....

The benefit is that you will have a better system, and if the tech who installs the electrics is any good, you will get a good setup as well, and be miles ahead. It will hang with ANY acoustic electric in a live setting....

• 3 weeks later...

Save your money on a stock A/E, get a Epi Ebony Dove, and then save up a little more and get a B-Band A2.2 or K&K Pure Western put in it. And of course get the case. You will end up spending about $600 or so for all of it, but you can start with only the Dove, then get more as you can....

The benefit is that you will have a better system, and if the tech who installs the electrics is any good, you will get a good setup as well, and be miles ahead. It will hang with ANY acoustic electric in a live setting....

Get the AJ-220SCE. You won't be sorry. Mine plays like a Gibson.

Let's put it this way...

I've got 3 Epi AEs. Each is, in its type and class, IMHO far superior to similarly-priced guitars of their type.

Strings and setup also are critical. Here's an example.

I just finished some games with five of the 11 "child actors" in the John Wayne movie "The Cowboys" celebrating the 40th anniversary of the movie. Guitars entered the equation.

A local showed up with an AE of some brand or another that he'd been sold to learn on. He couldn't. Heck, I could barely play it with its heavy strings and a high action. One of the "Cowboys" who has a cupla nice electrics at home couldn't really play it either.

How does anybody expect a beginner to want to keep learning if it ain't fun except for a semi-masochist who's also been sold on lessons?

The guy who bought it could have afforded something far better. I'm sure his boots cost more. A setup, gentler strings and a cupla beginner lessons could have made that a far more practical solution both for him and really, also for the store.

I'm also happy enough with the Epi AE stuff. Yeah, you can get better. Yeah, you can get better and have a full setup you don't understand. But for $400 there are several excellent AE Epis. If you're going to double the cost, a beginner may be snowed by all that's involved. At that point they may be advised instead to look at a Masterbilt. Those are really nice mid-price instruments.

If I were a guitar salesman, I'd first try to find out what the buyer wants to play, then how he wants to play, then how much he thinks he can spend, then match him more or less to that with a cupla options.

m

Let's put it this way...

I've got 3 Epi AEs. Each is, in its type and class, IMHO far superior to similarly-priced guitars of their type.

Strings and setup also are critical. Here's an example.

I just finished some games with five of the 11 "child actors" in the John Wayne movie "The Cowboys" celebrating the 40th anniversary of the movie. Guitars entered the equation.

A local showed up with an AE of some brand or another that he'd been sold to learn on. He couldn't. Heck, I could barely play it with its heavy strings and a high action. One of the "Cowboys" who has a cupla nice electrics at home couldn't really play it either.

How does anybody expect a beginner to want to keep learning if it ain't fun except for a semi-masochist who's also been sold on lessons?

The guy who bought it could have afforded something far better. I'm sure his boots cost more. A setup, gentler strings and a cupla beginner lessons could have made that a far more practical solution both for him and really, also for the store.

I'm also happy enough with the Epi AE stuff. Yeah, you can get better. Yeah, you can get better and have a full setup you don't understand. But for $400 there are several excellent AE Epis. If you're going to double the cost, a beginner may be snowed by all that's involved. At that point they may be advised instead to look at a Masterbilt. Those are really nice mid-price instruments.

If I were a guitar salesman, I'd first try to find out what the buyer wants to play, then how he wants to play, then how much he thinks he can spend, then match him more or less to that with a cupla options.

m

Sound advice(that I've come to expect from), milod.

Kinda have moved gettin' an A/E down my guitar wishlist. Other than gettin' a Tele(which I plan to buy next month), I've fallin' in love w/ the Epi Hummingbird Artist(http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-limited-edition-hummingbird-artist-acoustic-guitar). Really thinkin' serious 'bout gettin this acoustic by Christmas. Anybody got a Hummingbird Artist?

Nothing against much of any good guitars but...

1. Never had a Fender guitar, not due to anything against quality or tone, but because the necks tend to have a significantly greater radius that doesn't fit at all how I play - or that you'll find on any Epi. It's a different way to pick, IMHO.

2. Haven't owned a non AE since the early 1970s when they first came out.

m

Archived