Gibson Brands Forums

Marshall 30th Anniversary

manse

Is yours 6L6 or EL34 Driven?

EL34s - it has a lovely spanky clean sound and a great crunch - but suprisingly the lead channel is the weakest of the lot.... There is a lot of fiddling around to get things just right - diode or triode, full or half power, mid shift, damping options,.... I could go on! Mostly it lives on the clean channel - with an MXR Dyna Comp script re-issue for a bit of a clean boost and an MXR classic fuzz for distorted tones - it screams with the fuzz!!

Only half the story.... <_<

V

:-({|=

ok, ok, ok - what do you want - pics of me, the guitars or the band! Or maybe a recording? smile.gif

Anyway, yesterday I was using an SG Standard and a sunburst, double-bound, rosewood neck '62 tele custom. They are pretty - but me and band are all quite unsightly! You don't want to see us! biggrin.gif Actually, I only took photos of the cab and head because they live at the studio (a few hours from home) and I miss them all the time!!

Unfortunately the recording is pretty sub-standard - we were really just working out arrangements for 4 new-ish songs and just recorded with one cheapo mike as a reference for next time we get together - no finessing with mike placement or balance - but good enough to remember how the arrangement works! We need an engineer to do the recording for us - it is too much for me to worry about on top of working out the arrnagements, learning my parts and nailing it!! :(

Maybe I will post up the guitar pics soon - recording will have to wait till we can get the set up right....

Hey Manse-that's quite the amp-as are almost all Marshalls but you'll soon find out that with a good Marshall you don't need near as many stomp boxes as you used with other amps.

That is subjective.

Maybe one won't need a Rat with a Marshall, but overdrive boxes (Tube Screamers, Boss SD-1, DOD 250, etc) and other effects are awesome with Marshalls!

Ah, the great 6100!

Great amps. A lot of people say that the last great Marshall was the JCM 800, but that is not true.

This and the Silver Jubilee (as well as the original Slash model and the Vintage Modern) are great. You can get great tones out of 900s, 2000s and the JVMs, but it's not the same IMHO.

Joe Satriani used one of these with a DS-1 (take that Boss haters!) for many years.

Alex Lifeson also used these between 1993 and 1997 ("Counterparts" and "A Test For Echo".)

A lot of people use/used them. Great amps.

Almost as complicated as a Boogie!

EL34s - it has a lovely spanky clean sound and a great crunch - but suprisingly the lead channel is the weakest of the lot.... There is a lot of fiddling around to get things just right - diode or triode, full or half power, mid shift, damping options,.... I could go on! Mostly it lives on the clean channel - with an MXR Dyna Comp script re-issue for a bit of a clean boost and an MXR classic fuzz for distorted tones - it screams with the fuzz!!

Yes I am well aware of it features. I would just curious about which power tubes it had cause around 1994 to 1995 Marshall Started making them with 6L6 Power tubes until the TSL came out and replace it.

That is subjective.

Maybe one won't need a Rat with a Marshall, but overdrive boxes (Tube Screamers, Boss SD-1, DOD 250, etc) and other effects are awesome with Marshalls!

...well these are the pedals I use when I run in stereo with my '59 Bassman RI

7289670058_3fe9e4f067_b.jpg

Archived