Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup upgrades

Lazerface

Okay, so this guitar i want to upgrade is not a gibson, but a jackson dkmgt (hardtail dinky) with emg hz pickups and push/pull 15db gain boost. Was playing through my marshall class 5 and really wawnt diggin any tones i was getting from it. This axe plays really well, with its jumbo frets and thin, fast, maple neck. I think the time has come to give it some gusto with some new pickups. The idea of p94s crossed my mind, but i already have 2 p90 equipped guitars. I was thinking perhaps doing the tried and true emg 81/85 combo, like the newer dkmgt models have, or maybe going the dimarzio route. I've never been a big fan of seymour duncan. I definitely need a hot pickup in this axe, not really for all out assault but i would like to play chunky or smooth, clean or heavy. Anybody have any suggestions as to pickups that i should look at besides the emg 81 or 85, or the dimarzio super distortion?

One thought, I am sure you can find that amp in stores still? do you think they will have guitars with the EMG 81/85 combo?

I think when it comes to 'hot' pups, Dimarzio is the way to go, but I think they only sound good with distortion. Hot pups don't really do clean nearly as well as 'standard' output pups.

Maybe instead of ditching the boost and going with hot pups, keep it and go with standard output pups?

Just one clarification, when you will change (if you change it), if your pickups are active, then you will have to replace pots and electronics as pots for EMG are delivered with it and not compatible with passive pickups. Perhaps you can keep your boost but it is better to check first.

Ah and I forget, the guitar jack input should also be replaced as for emg, it is not the same as for passive pickups.

Hope that helps.

If i go the 81/85 route, the zakk wylde set comes with pots amd a jack. Even if i decide tomgo the passive route, i will still get new pots as well. As far as budget goes, probably no more than $150 per, but would like to keep it closer to, if not under $100 per, but that all depends on finding a pickup that i like, i do not want to settle for anything less than pure awesomeness!!

Archived