Gibson Brands Forums

Hacking on a 2008 Gibson SG Special

Searcy

I'm not much for pedals but I gotta say,, these guitar synth units are pretty damn cool.

I think I could have me some fun with this cosm stuff.

And dude,, it's gotta take some big nuts to carve a garage door hole in your SG like that.

Doesn't look like much room for error there. yikes.

Very cool.

Anyone remember the 'SynthAxe'?? lol.

Crazy sh!t.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These Roland COSM systems really are cool setups. What you hear on the video is the VG88 which came out around 2000. The VGA7 amp that I have also has a COSM system built into it. The "VG" stands for Virtual Guitar. Any COSM systems you see with the VG designation tend to be mostly centered around guitar and other stringed sounds like banjo, sitar, bass and so on. The 13 pin output allows for each strings signal to be processed separately. Because of this it possible to do some crazy stuff like have a bass on the low E and A strings and a nylon string guitar on the rest. Alternate tunings can be programed in if you like.

The COSM system also allows you to simulate different guitar bodies and pickup types like a Line 6 Variax. Very cool stuff.

As for hacking up the SG special. I think these are the perfect guitars for personalizing. with projects like this. They're cheap and easy to work on and fantastic players. It's my go to guitar.

• 10 months later...

Archived