Gibson Brands Forums

Moulded pickguard

gdecantoo

I have made a few pickgaurds for my LP and was wondering if there was such a thing as a guard molded to the contour of the guitar and sit flat. Has anyone seen anything like this? I did a search and came up empty. I think i'll give her a shot.

I have made a few pickgaurds for my LP and was wondering if there was such a thing as a guard molded to the contour of the guitar and sit flat. Has anyone seen anything like this? I did a search and came up empty. I think i'll give her a shot.

I imagine you could use adhesive backed celluloid, I would be concerned about it eating the finish underneath myself.

I suppose you could cut a blank from standard stock, use a heat gun to mold the plastic by hand and mount it.

40 bucks and a trip to the hardware store gets you a decent heat gun.

I imagine you could use adhesive backed celluloid, I would be concerned about it eating the finish underneath myself.

I suppose you could cut a blank from standard stock, use a heat gun to mold the plastic by hand and mount it.

40 bucks and a trip to the hardware store gets you a decent heat gun.

I wouldn't use any adhesives. My thoughts were to use the existing screw holes by the pups and make/modify an L-bracket to just hold it down on the bottom. Another option is to drill another screw hole on the bottom but i don't want to do that. I will use the oven to heat the plastic until plyable. For molding i was going to use a layer of cotton T-shirt on the guitar, then a layer of foil (heat sheild), another layer of cotton and one more foil. Then lay the heated plastic on top pressing down with some foam for even pressure. Acctually i'm surprised no one has seen this before. Reading the Forum opinions on pickguards, this would seem to be a good option for some [biggrin]

Archived