Gibson Brands Forums

SG 61 reissue Relic project

Sidney_HK

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and undergoing the relic project, the finishes is about to be done. But for the truss rod adjustment and action height is still searching for references. Any suggestions or data to obtain the minimum action for the above adjustments?

Thanks a lots!

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c181/sidney_wkchan/SG/IMAG0462.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c181/sidney_wkchan/SG/IMAG0533.jpg

It is a 1996 made SG 61 reissue. But I am trying to set the action as low as possible for easy playing, any suggestions?

was foolin' around with my set-up today and landed on ca 2,2mm at 12 fret on low e side and ca 1,8 mm on high e side, still a little bit fret buzz but easier to play than my old set up that was higher. Neck relief- a players card

Just to say that I have a 2012 SG 61 Reissue and my action and relief are what I'd call perfect. I don't get any string buzz. I measured the guitar up when I got it and wrote everything down so I don't forget. Here is what mine is set at:

Action - 2mm on bass side at 12th fret

1.5mm on treble side at 12th fret

Relief - capo on 1st fret and depressing low E at 22nd fret relief is between 0.09mm and 0.10mm at the 9th fret.

I guess that low action depends, to an extent, on how hard you pick.

Here's a suggestion......put the finish back on !!!! LOL It is easy to over-do it when relic'ing a guitar. Too much will make the guitar's "wear" seem unnatural. If you want the guitar to look legitimately well-used, don't focus so much on removing finish, but rather more on paint chips, dings, scratches and maybe miss-match one of the control knobs or one of the tuners ;) THAT is how you make a relic job look 100% authentic ;)

Archived