Gibson Brands Forums

String gauge and intonation for a 335?

willdguitar

So, as luck would have it, I broke my high E string a day before my jazz guitar workshop starts.

Now, I'm in the middle of nowhere (Beulah, Michigan), and there is no place within two hours where I can pick up another pack of D'addario Jazz Lights.

However, I happen to have a pack of nickel-wound D'addario .10s and nickel wound Ernie Ball .9s with me.

The B string on the superslinky .9s is .11, and the B string on the .10s is .13.

So how much of a big deal would it be to replace the .12 E string with a .11 or .13, when the guitar is set up for .12s, and all other strings come from a .12 pack?

Would it effect the intonation on the string? Too much tension on the neck?

Which string would cause the least problems?

Also, if I haven't asked too many questions, why would my E string snap so easily? I got the guitar tuned up a little less than a week ago, and the strings were brand new. I thought .12s were fairly hard to break while bending.

Thanks!

p.s, I'm a jazz player, so a .13 would be fine to play on.

Any time you change a string you might have to adjust intonation. That being said, any string is better than none, so put one of them on and try it. If the intonation needs adjusting, adjust it!

Texas has a good point--the 13 might sit high in the nut, but you can test this before you put the string on.

Changing the E string one gauge up or down has no significant effect on the neck.

It's a good idea to purchase singles of the unwound strings so you always have spares without breaking up a set.

String breakage might be caused by a burr on the bridge saddle, so check for that. Sometimes it's a string defect.

Danny W.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived