Gibson Brands Forums

SJ 100s ?? Plain SJ 200s ??

suburude63

Not any time soon' date=' but I found this: http://www.guitarjtb.com/oldtop.html

There you will find a 1970's double-x design (which is I presume the dreaded double-x), which shows both x's in the lower bout, not as someone described above. I always assumed the second x was above the sound hole too, but apparently not. I'm no authority and stand ready to be corrected.

On my j-100, The upper 'V' of the large x, the horizontal/lateral brace above the soundhole, and the 3 short scalloped braces (one on each side and one very short one below soundhole) are pretty much as shown in that same photo, although the scalloped braces are missing you can see where they go. Basically everything north of the X is ideintical or very similar to that photo. I wont be able to see anything below the upper x arms till I take strings off.

[img']http://www.guitarjtb.com/70dblx.jpg[/img]

The second X was ABOVE the soundhole from1952 until sometime in the early to mid 60s. That bracing pattern was certainly a much different design than the 70s double X design you reference above, which everybody agrees was not desireable. The 1952-1962 or so J200s with a single X both ABOVE and BELOW the soundhole are said to be the best sounding J200s.

Red 333

• 2 weeks later...

Finally took the strings off my 2002 J100 Xtra. I've described/pictured the above-the-soundhole bracing above. Below the soundhole the bracing is pretty similar in number and placement to this picture of an old LG-2 Gibson. There may or may not be subtle (or not so subtle) differences in shape/profile of the braces, I dunno. Mine are definitely shaped. I tried to get photos but it didnt work out very well.

PS-would love to know if/how this differs from J-200, if at all

51lg2.jpg

I also took a peek into mine, using a tiny dental mirror (you know, the round kind, on a stick). Though it was hard to see into the lower bout (not enough light down there), what I saw does look like the image you posted. I also found this page while sniffing around the net. The X-braced pattern also resembles what I could see in my J-100.

Archived