Gibson Brands Forums

epiphone Night Hawk

zuicey227

I bought the new Nighthawk a couple of weeks ago, and i read all these reviews about everyone changing the pickups and adding and making changes galore. I just can't bring myself to do that for some reason, I love it just the way it is , Its got beautiful curve, i like her just the way she is. Its like buying a Fender or a Gibson and ripping the guts out and putting completely different pick ups in her. You wouldn't be able to call it a Fender of a Gibson any more cause you ripped out the main parts. If your ears are tuned you can tell a fender for a fender or a Gibson for a Gibson. Really 20 years have to go by, for its own unique sound to have stayed with it , once they have been around for a while. You will be able to say that's a Nighthawk, cause i can tell by the sound. Its unique. Tell me what you think!

I was thinking if you've made the changes, you don't have a Nighthawk anymore, its not a pure breed anymore its a mutt!

I bought the new Nighthawk a couple of weeks ago, and i read all these reviews about everyone changing the pickups and adding and making changes galore. I just can't bring myself to do that for some reason, I love it just the way it is , Its got beautiful curve, i like her just the way she is. Its like buying a Fender or a Gibson and ripping the guts out and putting completely different pick ups in her. You wouldn't be able to call it a Fender of a Gibson any more cause you ripped out the main parts. If your ears are tuned you can tell a fender for a fender or a Gibson for a Gibson. Really 20 years have to go by, for its own unique sound to have stayed with it , once they have been around for a while. You will be able to say that's a Nighthawk, cause i can tell by the sound. Its unique. Tell me what you think!

I was thinking if you've made the changes, you don't have a Nighthawk anymore, its not a pure breed anymore its a mutt!

Hello zuicey227,

Congratulations on your acquisition. Wonderful playing guitar. I can see your point of view and I am sure many share it. For me, it is in itself a fine instrument. Although I believe it is copy/clone of the original Gibson. From some limited experience, I've found in my particular instances that the Epiphone copies do not have the same quality components as the original Gibson, just as Squier's don't to my knowledge match their Fender counterparts. So being what it is, I believe I can get more out of it. The price brings it into my upgrade level. Top quality switches, pots and caps I feel enhance the guitar. While the pickups are a matter of taste. My nighthawk keeps surprising me with it's fun and playability factor. Good luck in whatever choice you make, it is what makes the world go around, so they say!

Maybe you might post some pictures of your guitar.

Glenn

here is a pic and i also have a post that has a link to youtube also, post-45091-028870700 1342585161_thumb.jpg its in this lounge . Its called Epiphone Nighthawk- new to forum. both a bird and horse. hawk and stang.

That is the same color as mine. Enjoy!

Glenn

Mine is still completely stock ... very happy with her just the way she is.

Oh, wait ... I DID swap out the knobs for a couple of knurled, Tele-type ones. I found the stock speed knobs a bit of a PITA to pull up for the coil-split:

EpiphoneNighthawkCustomKnobChange01.jpg

Jim

I bought a Nighthawk a few months ago and I loved it the moment I played it at the store. I wasn't in the market for a new axe but it so impressed me I had to get it. I never thought of swapping any parts out because I don't really feel they are needed. I am not saying that I couldn't find superior components because , obviously, I could very easily. I am saying this guitar really does not need alot of fiddling. If I want to play a Gibson I will play one of my Gibsons. If I want to play a truly unique guitar, I pick up my Nighthawk. Beyond superficial changes like new knobs or strap-locks, I say leave it alone. Should you be buying guitars you feel need to rip out the guts? Of course not. Just my two cents worth.

Archived