Gibson Brands Forums

Red Brand Copper Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings

JamGuy

Hey folks...

So my little camp guitar needed to be restrung and I opted to go for some of those Red Brand strings... I hadn't tried them before. They're supposed to add a little low end and volume to your guitar. I thought to myself, "perfect", as my Yamaha fs720s is lacking in both... I've been spoiled by the full rich sound of my Gibson Acoustic but I've quit taking her camping. So... the verdict? Well, I do think they added a little volume and low end... which was nice. I wish now I'd opted for the mediums instead of lights but will try those next time... I can see them adding even more volume and low end. $10 seemed like a bit much for non-coated strings, and I'm curious how they will last, but if you have a smaller bodied guitar that seems to be lacking in projection and richness of tone, these may be the ticket. I'm happy with them so far.

Here's a few videos of me on the porch trying them out, Cheers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONXUO1B-VFI&list=UUCuXNTsKsf79nbKc7gEZFJg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0KiIx2u9Wo&list=UUCuXNTsKsf79nbKc7gEZFJg

I tried a set of these string's once on a $300.00 solid tone-wood Rosewood and Mahogany Yamaha I used to have, bright and super twangy sounding string's. They may have sounded better after they had been on for a while but I don't know as I sold the guitar right after putting them on. I like heaver strings but I would suggest if any one was going to try them to get the light gauge Red's if they'd never used them before as they are much heaver than a regular set of string's.

interesting...

I wonder if my Yamaha sounded better because of the old strings they replaced... they were some blowout deal at GC, supposedly coated in gold or called gold something or others. I didn't like them, they sounded almost muffled. Those replaced the stock strings which were so light I couldn't stand them. Some of it is just the guitar... I'm not nuts about the tone of smaller acoustics, I really like the thumpin' bass of a dreadnaught for rhythm.

Anyhow, thanks for the heads up on the "heaviness" of the medium gauge Red Brands... that's certainly something to keep in mind.

I had a set of these on my Guild Jumbo and yea the bass was nice, I found these strings to be dirty sounding, sounded to me like they added some grit on barre chords and power chords. I am not much of an acoustic player though.

Archived