Gibson Brands Forums

"Cracks" on Les Paul, is it weather checking ?

Dandelion

I've got a Les Paul Standard from the early 90's. For a few days, some kind of cracks/lines have appeared near the pickguard and the knobs. It looks like it's beneath the lacquer. Is it weather checking ? It's strange because I never went out with my guitar in winter and I always took care of it. Do I need to do something or is it just a sign of age ?

Sounds like it could be from drastic changes in humidity. If your guitar was very cold and you opened the case in a hot room you can just about see it start to crack.

Not sure what if anything you can do about it short of a refinish. Keep a humidifier in your case and that may prevent it from getting worse.

Still some battle scars can look kinda cool to some people. I highly dout it will change the playability of the instrument. Got pics?

I've got a Les Paul Standard from the early 90's. For a few days, some kind of cracks/lines have appeared near the pickguard and the knobs. It looks like it's beneath the lacquer. Is it weather checking ? It's strange because I never went out with my guitar in winter and I always took care of it. Do I need to do something or is it just a sign of age ?

As Bob says, without pictures, we'd assume it's finish checking. It's common with nitro and usually a result of a rapid climate change, from cold to warm/cold to warm, dry to humid etc. There is really nothing that you can do about it unfortunately.

I'll try to post pics later.

It doesn't affect playing, that's just aesthetic. I just hope it won't get worst :)

the best advise I can think of to help minimize or to avoid it getting worse would be to let the instrument acclimate to any extreme temp changes, and definitely try to always avoid leaving it in the car or trunk during the summer, or the dead of winter.

to help speed up the acclimation process, you can unlatch the case, fan the case top a few times to let some of the room air/temp in then close it again for a few minutes.

I know it sounds like a pain but the only way to avoid finish checking is to let the entire instrument get acclimated to the change in temp. or moisture. The finish will expand and contract (and react to the elements) more so than the wood will, which is what causes the checking.

But the guitar didn't leave my appartment and the temperature is stable. I guess it's more a humidity problem or something to have with knobs/jack shock.

rapid change in temp is the most common cause, but definitely also moisture changes too,, anything that will swell or shrink the wood.

Archived