Gibson Brands Forums

Serial #helpppp

Hello fellow Gibson family i am new to the Gibson world just bought my first Gibson a month ago 2012 sg special and then a week later saw a sg melody maker on ebay for very cheap its a project guitar i plan on restoring i have seen ways to figure out the date from the serial number but am horrible at numbers and am confused could anybody help me out the # is 900158

Hello fellow Gibson family i am new to the Gibson world just bought my first Gibson a month ago 2012 sg special and then a week later saw a sg melody maker on ebay for very cheap its a project guitar i plan on restoring i have seen ways to figure out the date from the serial number but am horrible at numbers and am confused could anybody help me out the # is 900158

Hello there.. and welcome

Pcitures of the guitar always helps... You can post pics if you sign up to www.photobucket.com and use the IMG links in your posts (only 5 per post)... Sounds like it could be an old one though with that serial number (unless its some kind of Vintage Original Spec (VOS)

You can try this for the serial number http://www.guitardaterproject.org/gibson.aspx

Or, email Gibson customer service. They will also want to see pictures [thumbup]

Here are some pics hope they come up lol

WOW that is an old one... from what the serial number database says

Your guitar was made at the

Kalamazoo or Nashville Plant , USA

approximately in: 1970, 1971 or 1972

Id like to see pitures of the front too.. And you say you bought that cheap?? Models that old are worth way more than the new ones.. if I were you id look into what it is before you try working on it and look at restoring it with original parts (alot of people love the natural aging on old guitars like that, and chances are the wood will sound great ;) [thumbup] )

thanks a lot buddy yeah i got it for 300$ on ebay i could not pass it up at all very awesome guitar

For instance...

Check this one.. Its in good condition but look at what its going for :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1962-Gibson-Les-Paul-Junior-SG-shape-Kalamazoo-vintage-RARE-/280944250697?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4169950f49

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gibson-SG-Junior-orig-Case-Made-in-Kalamazoo-1965-/350584205715?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item51a0727193

It does look like your one may have had a new neck though as most of the ones I have seen have a cherry red neck too.. BUT im no expert when it comes to old Gibsons or SGs for that matter..

Maybe try posting this in the SG forum http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/forum/10-sg/ you may get a better response there [thumbup]

nope look up 1967 melody maker sg on google all the necks were a different color than the body in the 60's i thought the same thing when i bought her lol

All the better then [thumbup]

If I were you id be looking for original parts.. Even if you spend another $300 on parts you could probably still sell it for at least $1000 if not more from what ive seen on ebay..

Good luck and let us know how you get on with her :)

Here are some pics hope they come up lol

540224_10150977009707121_1335628568_n.jpg

Hey Tamey, Welcome! Glad you got it cheap, because it probably would not bring a lot of money. The serial# indicates a 1970. The finish bothers me.....as the neck is all faded and the body looks to bright, like a refinish. You have, basically NO original hardware or electronics? You could possibly spend way more on putting it back to original than you could sell it for! Not even sure if that is your intention. Looks like a fun project anyway... [thumbup]

I managed to put this one 'straight'...A 1980 LES PAUL Standard....Nashville plant.

2754077920066230676S600x600Q85.jpg

2539203670066230676S600x600Q85.jpg

2602931120066230676S600x600Q85.jpg

Archived