Gibson Brands Forums

need info on acoustic epi

Dan41

Hi i would like to buy a good Acoustic or electro-acoustic guitar. But i don't want to spend over 1000$ and i would like to know wich epi is the best or other brand. Because my last electro-acoustic was GWL (George Washburn limited) the kind of guitar you find in Cosco or Wal-Mart and now i want a good one

give me some advice please.

The Masterbilt Dr500MCE is still in production and well under a grand. You can get all solid wood guitars in that price range. Taylor makes solid wood dn3 at around 1000. Their acoustic electric 114 and 214 are nice guitars for the money. Blueridge, recording king, the Loar and Tanglewood all have some really nice affordable choices. Just depends what you like.......

The Masterbilt Dr500MCE is still in production and well under a grand. You can get all solid wood guitars in that price range. Taylor makes solid wood dn3 at around 1000. Their acoustic electric 114 and 214 are nice guitars for the money. Blueridge, recording king, the Loar and Tanglewood all have some really nice affordable choices. Just depends what you like.......

thanks for the info

How about an Inspired by 1964 Texan.

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Acoustic-Electric/Inspired-by-1964-Texan.aspx

I'd buy one if I had the dough.

I've got one of these, FT-79's, its my main player (only working acoustic I have), a really sweet sounding/playing guitar and less that $500 (US) brand new. I've had it for almost 2 years and have used it about as much as a working pro would. I'm just a part time pro but I've put about 15 hours a week on it for a solid 2 years and it does need some fret work now but that's really the only thing that has gone wrong with it. Fret ware is normal over time and mine has worn out so fast only because I play a lot. Oh the little "E" sticker on the pick-guard came unstuck so I removed it, not a big deal really as I like the way it looks better now.

I have not owned an acoustic-only guitar since I got a matching set of early Ovation AE back in the early 70s, an Electric Legend and a Country Artist. (Still have them, btw.)

I currently have three Epi AEs. Each is quite different and used differently.

The PR5e is a great little fingerpicker guitar. What it, or other smaller body guitars regardless of brand, miss in terms of projection, the electronics on this one more than makes up for, IMHO.

The AJ220ce is a nice bang-around guitar for about anything, and has the same apparent electronics as the smaller PR5e. It's not a super sound, but it's quite decent for that backyard get-together or a saloon gig you're not really certain about.

The Masterbilt AJ500ME does not have a cutaway, but still can play decently above the 12th fret for some purposes. The electronics are fine; it's a nice bigger box with a degree of vintage sorta vibe and nice mellow sound even with the electrical stuff on it.

Bottom line is that each of the Epis have their own personality and value. The least expensive of the bunch, really, is that little PR5e and if I could have only one AE and one electric, I'd keep the PR5e and the 175 electric.

For what it's worth, I've done a bunch of stuff with the little PR5e, and for a fingerpickin' solo act, I can't imagine anything much nicer for three times the cash. I've had pro video guys say it sounded as good as anything they'd heard when run through an inexpensive board.

But each of us will have somewhat different preferences depending on how one plays.

m

Archived