Gibson Brands Forums

Noob question about pick up wires

Elmer

Hi,

got this old guitar, some brand I never heard of, Jade or something.

A friend gave it to me. I gonna use the neck and a pup for my cigar box guitar but the pups are bothering me.

I only going to use 1 of the 3 pups. I only want a volume knob and of course no switch.

What wire I need to cut loose and where to attche it again? Is it possible to explane that in an easy way?

The pick up you see on the picture is the one I want to use. What knob is the volume one? I had 2 tone knobs and 1 volume. I have no clue which knob to use. What to do with the red wire and what to do with the white one.

IMG_0125.jpg

1pickup1vol.jpg

Thanx...a few more questions (I have no elevtro knowledge), the green one is earth?

Witch one of these 3 is the volume knob? The one with the little green thingy or the one with the grey cable (jack) or the last one?

IMG_0129.jpg

Great drawing by Searcy.

The pot with all three of the pups attached is the volume knob...BUT, all three of the pots should be the same, so use any of them you like.

In other words, just use the old harness for parts and make what the drawing shows.

The green in the drawing is the ground: where it is shown as a wire from the lug to the pot, you could also instead bend the lug to touch the housing of the pot and solder it.

You will need to attach a ground wire to the bridge or something that makes contact with the strings or your hand, otherwise there will be extra humming. This is shown in the drawing as the green wire.

The drawing shows a red and a white and an unmarked from the pup. The unmarked is a ground from the pup. If there is none on the pup, it doesn't need one.

OK, all clear now. It's going to take a few weeks before I start at the pup and pot but...of course I will show the result. The cigar box I have is a little too small I think, but we'll see.

Thank you for the fast responses!

Elmer

Archived