Gibson Brands Forums

the difference between the 498t and the burstbucker pro..

deelaz

hey i want to know what is the difference between the 498t and the burstbucker pro? which one is hotter? iam thinking about swapping my 57 classic with the burst pro, what would you guys think about it? but iam too afraid if the burstbucker pro has the same sound character as the 498t, which pick up could give the best strings clarity? thanks for the clue borthers...

http://www.gibson.com/en%2Dus/Divisions/Gibson%20Gear/Pickups/How%20They%5Fre%20Made%20%281%29/

The link above is to the Gibson website and shows the comparative difference between gibson pickups. If you are playing through a tube amp, the 498t's will drive the amp into distortion easier, they are hotter than either the '57s or the BB's.

The 498T is a hot, modern (lower mids on EQ) sounding pickup.

The burstbucker pro is a more vintage sounding (EQ) pickup, with a slight mid and upper mid frequency hump.

The '57 Classic Plus is more flatly EQ-ed.

If you have a 57 classic now, you have the best choice there is. Hotter means muddier and dirtier - less clear. I've found the 57's to be the clearest most defined and flatly EQ pick-up out there, though I'm sure there are others. The burstbuckers are similar, but more warm sounding...

Maybe you should be starting at setting-up your guitar. New strings, Intonation, bridge height and pick-up height, it makes a huge difference.

Archived