Gibson Brands Forums

NDG: LG-2? Reissue

dmorris29

Here is the before with the pixelated pickguard and white plastic pins....and the after with the greven tortis dark that I reshaped from a D28 guard and ebony pins....It could be my imagination but the ebony pins seemed to have reduced some of the harsher brassiness and made it warmer....now I am preferring Gibson masterbuilt phosphor bronze 12s on the maybe the best so far.....really sounds warmer but with that nice gibson dry bark....mine does not have the orange label on the inside (I like it that way)....sorry about the odd camera angle...the guitar really is symmetrical.

I really like the final look. To my eye, the reddish original pickguards really clash with the brown/black of the sunburst. I'm pretty sure that all the vintage teardrop pickkguards I've seen are more like your final one in color. Many of the larger, later-style pickguards are more reddish, but I don't believe those were always celluloid, like the teardrops were.

I suspect you are right about the tonal qualities of the ebony pins. I love Masterbuilt PB 12's out of the box, but their tonal quality seems to change pretty quickly compared to the DR Sunbeam 12's I am using on my Gibson flat tops now.

Here is the LG2 headstock with the black tuner buttons...they are really nice with no molding seams...Antique Acoustics I got online from Elderly Instruments....they were not too difficult to swap out...I have always liked the look of the black tuner buttons on the banner headstock.....

Here is the LG2 headstock with the black tuner buttons...they are really nice with no molding seams...Antique Acoustics I got online from Elderly Instruments....they were not too difficult to swap out...I have always liked the look of the black tuner buttons on the banner headstock.....

Your pick guard looks alot better in that position.

When you pulled the old one off how difficult was it to remove the residue left behind?

I have not tried the elixirs on this...my only experience with them was on my Martin D28 and I really did not like them at all. In regards to removing the pickguard, I have done it about 5-6 times and tried most of the techniques....I don't like the heat gun or blow dryer method....takes too long and you sit there pumping hot air on nitro finish and wood (an error in this technique could be disastrous). I tried the naptha and dental floss and found that it cause linear dents in the finish under the guard...the dental floss can be abrasive once you start.. The problem is as you dissolve the adhesive, it needs somewhere to go. So the easiest and least impactful technique I have found is using an dropper with naphtha and a stack of business cards. Drop in the naphtha at the edge....let it sit for a few mins, the use the business card flat on the soundboard to "saw" sideways under the pickguard....that pulls out nice globs of adhesive as you go.....be patient and you can have it off in about an hour with no scratches (take off your rings and cut your nails before you start...trust me).....naphtha followed by virtuoso clearer to clean up and you are good to go....

I have not tried the elixirs on this...my only experience with them was on my Martin D28 and I really did not like them at all. In regards to removing the pickguard, I have done it about 5-6 times and tried most of the techniques....I don't like the heat gun or blow dryer method....takes too long and you sit there pumping hot air on nitro finish and wood (an error in this technique could be disastrous). I tried the naptha and dental floss and found that it cause linear dents in the finish under the guard...the dental floss can be abrasive once you start.. The problem is as you dissolve the adhesive, it needs somewhere to go. So the easiest and least impactful technique I have found is using an dropper with naphtha and a stack of business cards. Drop in the naphtha at the edge....let it sit for a few mins, the use the business card flat on the soundboard to "saw" sideways under the pickguard....that pulls out nice globs of adhesive as you go.....be patient and you can have it off in about an hour with no scratches (take off your rings and cut your nails before you start...trust me).....naphtha followed by virtuoso clearer to clean up and you are good to go....

not sure if it bugs me enough to take that risk.. she is all perfect at the mo and I would cry if I made marks

Archived