Gibson Brands Forums

NDG: LG-2? Reissue

dmorris29

In the 1930s my father and his brother performed all over the SE Nebraska region playing at fairs and church socials, etc. and on the radio (KFNF in Shenandoah, IA). My dad played standard guitar and my uncle played slide guitar. When I was a kid in the 1950s and 60s dad would get out his old Kay Kraft Venetian and his old song book and we would spend the evening playing and singing. He passed his love of music on to me, and I have been playing semi-professionally since the early '70s - on bass though.

Dad always wanted a Gibson guitar, he thought Gibson was the Holy Grail of guitars. But didn't buy a Gibson acoustic until he was well into his retirement years - a used mid 60s B-25N. Dad passed away a year and a half ago and I inherited the B-25N. As I said, I'm a bass player and not much of a guitarist, but I found that the neck on the B-25N was just too narrow for me to negotiate. But my 26 yr old son, who is an accomplished guitarist, loves his grandfather's guitar. So I decided to get another Gibson acoustic - because only a Gibson is good enough - and give the B-25N to him.

A search for the right guitar for me ensued, and as a result, I got interested in the Banner era. But I have no interest in owning and caring for a vintage instrument however and started looking for a modern reissue LG-2. I eventually called Music Villa in Bozeman, MT, told them what I was looking for, and Blaise at the store said he'd contact Gibson and see what it would cost me to have a custom built. The next day I got an email from Music Villa saying that there was one at the factory that had been built for the Japanese market - was I interested? Yes, I was, and it shipped directly from the Bozeman Gibson shop to me. Pics are below.

I don't think the body dimensions are exactly as an LG-2 should be - the upper bout is a little narrower than my B-25N - maybe more like an L-00? Also, there is no label inside, only a Custom Shop label on the back of the headstock. Is this normal?

LG-2.jpgLG-2%20headstock.jpg

Sounds like a good catch! Congratulations and welcome to the Forum. As to the "is this normal" question, there is no normal with Gibson Acoustics when it comes to these kinds of details. But if made of the Japanise, that sounds about right. Hope it sounds a great as it looks!

That's a beautiful guitar. Congrats.

As for the label . . . I seem to remember the Gibson Montana C/S guy here on the forum - Jeremy Morton - got a label replaced for someone once. You can PM him with this link - http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?app=members&module=messaging&section=send&do=form&fromMemberID=32154 . Don't know what the rules are on that, but you could ask.

I've played a few of these LG reissues over the years; some of them have been very nice!

As to the lack of a label, that is likely because the Japanese dealers have asked for them to be produced that way, since the originals also did not have labels in them. They should, however, have a serial number inked on the neck block, I would guess.

Fred

I've played a few of these LG reissues over the years; some of them have been very nice!

As to the lack of a label, that is likely because the Japanese dealers have asked for them to be produced that way, since the originals also did not have labels in them. They should, however, have a serial number inked on the neck block, I would guess.

Fred

Yes, there is a serial # number ink stamped on the neck block - good point about the lack of a label. I suppose it does make it look more "authentic." This one does play nicely, sounds great with a lot of volume.

I have two LG-2 guitars a 1960 and a 1948. They don't have labels. I have never seen an LG-1,2,or 3 with a label. So to be vintage correct it should not have a label. By the way I am selling my 1960. For info call me a 757 469-2243. I am in Norfolk VA. The guitar is on eBay at this URL:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200824917345?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I don't think the body dimensions are exactly as an LG-2 should be - the upper bout is a little narrower than my B-25N - maybe more like an L-00?

My 1946 is 11" at the upper bout (actually, just a bit under)if that helps. I had a L-OO but unfortunately never measured it so can't tell you exactly what it was but as I recall it was significantly smaller in the upper bout than the LG=2 though similar in the lower bout(had a very pinched waist too). So, short answer, from here yours looks more like the older LG-2 than an L-OO.

Nice looking guitar by the way, may you enjoy it for years to come. Personally, I think the LG-2 is very underrated, but then I do have a bit of bias.

I recently got one of these in the uk and put a few posts up about it (if you check my posts you will see it). Looks same as your one, beautiful guitar ! (but then i am biased :)

Yes, I know. I posted a reply in that thread! Yep, looks pretty much the same - except yours has the orange label.

Yes, I know. I posted a reply in that thread! Yep, looks pretty much the same - except yours has the orange label.

Aha fantastic, i now remember - you were looking at a vintage one initially. With regard to the label, call Gibson and show them the pic of my one - am sure they will sort u out no probs. Maybe it improves the tone ;)

How does it play ? :) (personally, I cannot put mine down)

• 5 months later...

I know this post has been around for a while but I wanted to take the time to acknowledge why I have enjoyed coming to this forum....I was looking for a small bodied Gibson and pretty much settled on an LG-2....they are a bit harder to find in the shops and i have mixed feelings about an online purchase (like to play before I buy)...I had no idea that Gibson was making an LG-2 reissue in 2012 until I stumbled across this post. I called Guitar Showcase in the SF Bay Area...they called Gibson....and 4 days later I took one home.....I have been bonding with mine for the last few months and feel that with this LG-2 reissue and my J-45TV I am totally content.....they are a great pair and going to be with me to the end...

thanks everyone for sharing your stuff....I would have never found the perfect end to a two year quest...

I know this post has been around for a while but I wanted to take the time to acknowledge why I have enjoyed coming to this forum....I was looking for a small bodied Gibson and pretty much settled on an LG-2....they are a bit harder to find in the shops and i have mixed feelings about an online purchase (like to play before I buy)...I had no idea that Gibson was making an LG-2 reissue in 2012 until I stumbled across this post. I called Guitar Showcase in the SF Bay Area...they called Gibson....and 4 days later I took one home.....I have been bonding with mine for the last few months and feel that with this LG-2 reissue and my J-45TV I am totally content.....they are a great pair and going to be with me to the end...

thanks everyone for sharing your stuff....I would have never found the perfect end to a two year quest...

I also bought a 2012 LG-2 and I abolutely love mine to bits. It is my favorite git and I play it daily. I took the risk online with mine as they are £250 more expensive in the shops.

It really feels alive when I get a groove going, sounds like a bell

That looks like a sweet guitar. I would love to see it added to the regular production line-up, if it isn't already there. As far as I can tell, only the LG-2 American Eagle is shown as a current LG-bodied production model.

With their small-bodies, Gibson seems to focus on the L-OO body shape rather than the LG, so we have a bit of an historical gap in current models.

That looks like a sweet guitar. I would love to see it added to the regular production line-up, if it isn't already there. As far as I can tell, only the LG-2 American Eagle is shown as a current LG-bodied production model.

With their small-bodies, Gibson seems to focus on the L-OO body shape rather than the LG, so we have a bit of an historical gap in current models.

Yeah, Im pretty surprised LG-2 is not a standard production model given how much heritage it has.

Yeah, Im pretty surprised LG-2 is not a standard production model given how much heritage it has.

I thought the same but I guess the Blues King would be a too similar model.

What I love about these reissues (if you can call them that) is that the top and bottom are actually oval and not flat like the originals. I find the neck shape and width to be as comfy as the originals but a little easier to navigate.

It's like having the best of the 50's and the best of modern designed gits.

I just wish my new LG-2 would smell the same as my '53 LG-1 :)

Personally I like the Custom shop branding too.

Also, all the reissues of the LG models have the same size as the older LGs and later B-25s.

Well, that's because the older LG's and the B-25 were the same body size and style, which is quite different from the L-OO body size and style of the Blues King, Keb Mo, etc.

The point is that for someone wanting that LG body style, you don't have much to choose from in the current Gibson production line-up. There's a big gap between the old-style L body and the slope jumbo. From about 1942 until Gibson Bozeman began re-issuing L-OO style guitars (a decade ago, maybe?), the LG was THE Gibson small-body form. That's a lot of history to ignore.

For a lot of people, an LG-2, with reasonably historically-correct appointments, could be a really nice model to own, and would fill a void in the current line-up.

Nick, my point was that the older LGs, which became the B series and now the current LG reissues, all have exactly the same body size.

The OP was wondering if his reissue was the same size as his old B-25 or if it had a top width more like an L-00.

I would say no to that, as do you.

The original LGs and L-00s are different sizes, and continue that way today.

Nick, my point was that the older LGs, which became the B series and now the current LG reissues, all have exactly the same body size.

The OP was wondering if his reissue was the same size as his old B-25 or if it had a top width more like an L-00.

I would say no to that, as do you.

The original LGs and L-00s are different sizes, and continue that way today.

Sorry, I misunderstood the question you were referencing.

Hmmm, in the early 1970s I traded a mid-1950s LG-2 for a Kay Kraft Recording King Ventian which at the time was my Holy Grail guitar because my favorite guitar player - Curley Weaver - played one. I picked up a couple of other Kay Krafts over the next couple of years but it took me decades to get around snagging another LG-2. I still have one of the Kay Krafts and the LG-2.

JAddison...I am curious as to how your new LG-2 stacks up to your vintage LG-1s tone wise? Mine is starting to open up and be able to handle a hard strum better, but i think this guitar is really going to be best suited for finger style. That is why I wanted it... because that is how I generally play, but my LG2 doesn't seem to articulate each note of a strummed chord the way my J45TV does (not surprised)....funny though the LG2 is louder that the J45TV...it just gets a bit boxy sounding if you drive it too hard.

I am having a great time A/B'ing the two... they are a great pair. I am playing around with different strings on the LG2.....I have tried sets of 12s in PB, and 80/20s, and have 11s PBs on there now. I really like the 11s...there is no loss of volume and the playability and bending is easy stuff. It shipped with 12s 80/20s so i still think of that as the default, but i am going to try a set of the John Pearse Pure Nickels next.....

By the way...I could not resist a few mods on mine....Greven tortis dark pickguard (in the correct location outside the rosette), ebony bridge pins and black Antique Acoustics tuner buttons. I don't care about resale (but I don't think these would hurt value anyway)...

JAddison...I am curious as to how your new LG-2 stacks up to your vintage LG-1s tone wise? Mine is starting to open up and be able to handle a hard strum better, but i think this guitar is really going to be best suited for finger style. That is why I wanted it... because that is how I generally play, but my LG2 doesn't seem to articulate each note of a strummed chord the way my J45TV does (not surprised)....funny though the LG2 is louder that the J45TV...it just gets a bit boxy sounding if you drive it too hard.

I am having a great time A/B'ing the two... they are a great pair. I am playing around with different strings on the LG2.....I have tried sets of 12s in PB, and 80/20s, and have 11s PBs on there now. I really like the 11s...there is no loss of volume and the playability and bending is easy stuff. It shipped with 12s 80/20s so i still think of that as the default, but i am going to try a set of the John Pearse Pure Nickels next.....

By the way...I could not resist a few mods on mine....Greven tortis dark pickguard (in the correct location outside the rosette), ebony bridge pins and black Antique Acoustics tuner buttons. I don't care about resale (but I don't think these would hurt value anyway)...

They are so different you know what with the LG1 being ladder braced. The LG1 has a really mature woody open tone where as the LG2 still sounds very new in comparison. They both have that gibson tone :)

I mainly use my LG1 for slide now.

I find the LG2 to have a really balanced tone, like you say great for finger picking and good for light/medium strumming, really versatile.

I used Prime vibe on mine for a week solid and that opened her up quite a bit. More volume and more bell like ringing going on when getting a groove going.

I just love the sweet tone on these gits and I find them so comfortable to play.

Interesting that you are preferring 11's.. I thought mine came with PB's but for all I know they could have been 80/20's.

Right now I have Sunbeam round core PB 12's on her. Really warm resonating tone (maybe too warm). I have Gibson masterbuilt 12's to try next and I want to try some Elixir PB's too.

Did you pins make a subtle difference in tone? All I have done is to swap the plastic pins out for bone ones. I couldnt notice any difference but they look nicer and will last longer.

Funny you say that abt A/B'ing, I do that too.

I have given up doing it with my 0015 as they are just too different and I try not to play them both on the same day as it plays tricks on my ears. But I do like going from the LG1 to the LG2 and visa versa.

I dunno what stock is like your neck of the woods but the shop where I bought mine is all out of stock. I wonder how many of these were made. Do you have the orange custom shop label inside the sound hole on yours?

I would like to see some pics of yours with the mods. I was thinking about getting a nicer pickguard and placing it in the more traditional position too.

Here is the before with the pixelated pickguard and white plastic pins....and the after with the greven tortis dark that I reshaped from a D28 guard and ebony pins....It could be my imagination but the ebony pins seemed to have reduced some of the harsher brassiness and made it warmer....now I am preferring Gibson masterbuilt phosphor bronze 12s on the maybe the best so far.....really sounds warmer but with that nice gibson dry bark....mine does not have the orange label on the inside (I like it that way)....sorry about the odd camera angle...the guitar really is symmetrical.

Archived