Gibson Brands Forums

to Relic or Not to Relic

JuanCarlosVejar

Juan I don't think its worth the extra money nor do I think it will be any more valuable in the future.

I have one of those Cunetto relic Mary Kay Stratocasters..I bought it cause it really had something special about it and we paid a good amount for it before I ever heard of the name Cunetto.

There might be something to some electric relics but I wouldnt want a beat in acoustic that wasnt actually played in.

Concerning investment..though the Strat is supposedly beat in & Relic ed.. I bought that fine Italian Leather Dimarzio strap which bled black on to the white body & I dug out an access to truss rod adj screw which is at base of the neck..

Dispite it being a killer guitar..Im sure some air head will balk at its "unoriginality" and lack of "case candy".

Pathetic..from a smoke free climate controled home..only used on the 14th day of the 12th month of the 12th year for 2 hours 12minutes & 15 seconds...and only used with a respirator & purified clothing. Yeech! : )

Electric players have a fetish for beat Strats (ala SRV , EC and Rory G), stained Tele and such like. There is no flattop equivalent, at least to my knowledge. The Aaron Lewis treatment is a minority opinion. Many buyers do not even care for 'antiqued yellow' or VOS tops.

Relic-ing a clean store model would be the path to rapid depreciation. This is a marketplace where buyers flee at the slightest hint of glue run-out, let alone a scratch, ding or standard play wear. Unless, of, course, you offer hundreds off. R

Electric players have a fetish for beat Strats (ala SRV , EC and Rory G), stained Tele and such like There is not flattop equivalent, at least to my knowledge. The Aaron Lewis treatment is a minority opinion. Many buyers do not even care for 'antiqued yellow' or VOS tops.

Relic-ing a clean store model would be the path to rapid depreciation. This is a marketplace where buyers flee at the slightest hint of glue run-out, let alone a scratch, ding or standard play wear. Unless, of, course, you offer hundreds off. R

+1. If you'd be doing it for yourself, it's a personal choice. If you're considering resale, Rambler is right.

thanks guys .

@Dan glad to know you are doing the southern jumbo =) .

you guys are right glad I don't have any relic acoustics ... I'm still thinking of getting it on a custom shop gretsch electric .

but I have to admit I like the VOS finishes =)

but I agree with all that has been said

JC

Archived