Gibson Brands Forums

100 Years of Woody

Mojorule

Funny this should come up today, as I had a serious Woody Guthrie moment this morning. May have had something to do with the election finally being over. Maybe we can put at least a few of our differences aside for the good of the country, at least for a while:

And to keep it on the subject of guitars, I'm pretty sure, despite the grainy video, that this is Woody's SJ being played from around 1:23. The light reflecting off it makes it look like a natural top, but when the guitar is angled away from the light, you can see it better.

Funny this should come up today, as I had a serious Woody Guthrie moment this morning. May have had something to do with the election finally being over. Maybe we can put at least a few of our differences aside for the good of the country, at least for a while:

And to keep it on the subject of guitars, I'm pretty sure, despite the grainy video, that this is Woody's SJ being played from around 1:23. The light reflecting off it makes it look like a natural top, but when the guitar is angled away from the light, you can see it better.

Well I was teaching Woody on Tuesday (parallels with today via the Jolly Banker). Took the students a while to remember that there was a big election going on at the same time. So here we were able to focus on the music, lyrics, sociology/history and also the guitars. In that film, it is definitely his SJ (the quality here is bad, but from memory I think Brownie McGee is also playing a Gibson in the footage). I had a still from the same shoot up while teaching, and it is clear as clear. You can even see the banner (though not read it). When I asked what was written on the guitar, one of my students (bless her) answered 'Gibson', rather than 'This Machine Kills Fascists'! Of course the sound was not recorded alongside the footage, so I seriously doubt that what we are hearing is the SJ, even if that song wasn't recorded until he had the big Gibby. Is it his L-OO that we're hearing, or one of his many borrowed guitars?

i owe you two pints , made me laugh more than PM's beatle boy band rant

brilliant !

Thanks BBG. There's a job in my line going in Belfast, and if I thought I had any chance of getting an interview (no chance of getting the job), I'd apply just to be in range to take you up on the offer! Ah well, another time. Glad to be jollier than the banker. Though the Beatles thing is making me laugh longer than this moment of intense mirth, I have to say.

Archived