Gibson Brands Forums

Value of a 1964 335TD?

csprague

This seems awfully low, but I'm not an expert in vintage Gibsons.

Yes, it's low to the point that something may be very wrong.

The VG Price Guide for a '64 335 cherry stoptail in excellent condition lists a value of $14,800 to $19,300.

I suspect this could be a scam. I saw the same CL ad for the same guitar earlier this year, and the price was crazy (might have been $25,000). Either the seller really has this guitar and is coming to his senses regarding the value, or it's a scammer who is just trying to steal the max amount that they can. Seen it many times on Craigslist (and ebay). All they need is a nice photo of someone else's guitar, a fake story, and one sucker to come along.

edit: Thanks for the info, bobouz. I'm realizing that the book value is much higher than the asking price, but then again I think these Clapton-like 335's are over-valued, and with the market being so soft, that takes it down even further. If this is legit, it's a good buy. I doubt it's legit, though.

Seen it many times on Craigslist (and ebay). All they need is a nice photo of someone else's guitar, a fake story, and one sucker to come along.

Yes, I am personally aware of a one-of-a-kind vintage Tele purchased on ebay by a friend of mine, and a few weeks after he had the guitar in his possession, one of the ebay photos had been lifted & the guitar showed up in a Craigslist ad. It was a total scam.

Archived