Gibson Brands Forums

vintage retro style amp cabinet

CT Dude

Hello all! Hope someone can help me find or point me to a source that would have an old 1940's - 1950's retro style amp cabinet that I can restore and retro fit the guts from a 1x0 tube amp I just picked up. I recently acquired a Johnson Loredo TR25 Tube amp (http://johnsongtr.com/amps.html#jat25r.html). While the cabinet itself is in excellent condition and the amp sounds great, I want to build/restore an older cabinet and do it up with some period color tolex like the artisian at Vintage47 amps (www.vintage47amps.com).

Anyway if anyone know of an affordable enclosure please let me know. Many thanks in advance!

CT Dude

Before I started making my own, I used a guy, JD Newell (http://newellamps.com/). He does a great job and will take the cab as far as you want him to, then ship it for you to finish. I had him make a few for me, then I started designing and making my own. Lots of fun. I'm a little more into the 50's style cabs, here's one of my latest.If you had a jigsaw and router, it wouldn't be too hard to replicate some that are shown at vintage47.

IMG_3014.jpg

Hey Tweed2...thanks for the lead! I'll send them an email and to get an idea of cost. His prices seem fair for the existing cabinets he has. Thanks again!

P.S. If any other members of this forum have any retro style amp cabinets for sale let me know. Thanks!

Corson, I can tell you from personal experience that Vox cabinets are some of the most difficult to work on. The details that they have are subtle, but complicated. You've done a great job on yours. Nice work. I had a friend that asked me to build him what was basically replacement cabinets for his Berkeley piggy back amp, only with Fender tweed and the Vox diamond grill cloth. He was into doing blasphemous things. Talk about a project. I've been looking around for pictures, but I'll have to fing the box with them and then scan them. This is the closest thing I've done Voxy, in sound only, recently. I built it to house an old style AC4 clone that I picked up. Inspired to mix the Vox and Fender (and DanElectro) thing by my buddies earlier request. The face plate is lit up by a small light in the valance above it. My favorite amp to play through. Anyway, keep going on your cabinet work.

IMG_2731.jpg

Corson, I can tell you from personal experience that Vox cabinets are some of the most difficult to work on. The details that they have are subtle, but complicated. You've done a great job on yours. Nice work. I had a friend that asked me to build him what was basically replacement cabinets for his Berkeley piggy back amp, only with Fender tweed and the Vox diamond grill cloth. He was into doing blasphemous things. Talk about a project. I've been looking around for pictures, but I'll have to fing the box with them and then scan them. Anyway, keep going on your cabinet work.

Thanks Tweed2,

I didn't attempt to put the gold/silver wire on the cabs as I thought it would be too difficult,,,,,,,,,might try it on something smaller.

Had to edit my reply there as your pix were not showing,but I see them now,,,,,looks great,,,,,I really like the covering and it's got me thinking in building a combo as I've got 2 Sound City PA50s taking up space.

Thanks Tweed2,

I didn't attempt to put the gold/silver wire on the cabs as I thought it would be too difficult,,,,,,,,,might try it on something smaller.I've got some leftover cloth which I've put on ebay.Only place I could get it from was Germany.

Wouldn't mind seeing some pix of your piggy project.

The piping is very time consuming, that's for sure. I'll go through the old shoe boxes and see if I can find "the beast".

Archived