Gibson Brands Forums

Knob pointers

ALFA ROMEO CORSE

Not one bit...all it amounts to is the same thing as adding washers. Basically, thats what they are.

One thing to be aware of, is that sometimes the pot (any pot, any guitar) will slip and spin a little, especially after time and with use. With pointers, it is possible to have a line scratch in an arc around the knob.

2 things you can do to avoid this: one, is to install the pointers on top of a thin washer. The other (and I think this makes more sense), is to bend the outside part of the pointer SLIGHTLY, which leaves it just above the surface. Most pointers are mounted directly to the surface, and this is how they were on "vintage" guitars.

If it doesn't go without saying, DON'T overtighten the nuts on the pots. Snug is the amount, not tight. Making them tighter will do nothing to help them from slipping, and can possibly damage the finish as well as the wood (in which case, they will spin anyway).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I want to install knob pointers, is it difficult to do?

Hi, Alfa! Stein has already answered your question. My question has always been, "Why don't these guitars come with knob pointers in the first place?". That's the first thing I did when I bought

my 2011 Gibson SG Standard and my 2008 Gibson CS-336. They are not only classy, but for those of us who are half blind it sure helps to know where your volume and tone knobs are actually

dialed in. Good luck on installing yours....Paul:)

Archived