Gibson Brands Forums

69 emperor?

badJuJu

someone is selling me a 69' epiphone emperor which is really dont know if its legit or not.

can't find any info about this guitar.

owner said it doesnt have anything on the back of the headstock//(no serial number and who made it)

post-48016-082589500 1350539649_thumb.jpg

post-48016-004488400 1350539700_thumb.jpg

The picture's a bit small, so it's kind of hard to tell, but that doesn't look like any '60's Epiphone I've ever seen. '60's Emperors had much wider bodies (18" across the lower bout) and thinner depth like a 335. They also had three mini-humbuckers and Frequensator tailpieces, with Bigsbys or Tremotone tailpieces available by special order (although I've never seen one with a Tremotone). Yours looks like the smaller "Joe Pass" version from the Far East that came out in 1984, although it didn't get the Joe Pass name until '91.

The reason it doesn't have anything on the back of the headstock is because it was a sticker. It said "made in Koreea".

GENERALLY, I think they go for about 400 bucks. They may be a little more, because many think they are cool and you can't quite get them like this anymore, but I have also seen them selling for about 250 when they were everywhere.

It is possible they guy doesn't know much about guitars, and doesn't really know the difference. Also possible the guy is trying to pass it as a '69 and has removed all labels and such that would make it obvious.

What really matters is what he is trying to sell it for. And what you are looking for.

Here's what a real 60's Emperor looks like.

This Emperor appears to have been made shortly after Gibson's purchase of Epiphone, based on the pickups, and very possibly utilizing a neck left over from the stash of original Epi parts - which could explain the three screw TRC.

Archived