Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J100X vs Guild JF55?

Git4Life

Hello, I'm new to this forum, so glad to see such a vast range of topics as well as opinions/experiences re the Gibson, am hoping to just have a little feedback re a decision I need to make soon...

Am trying to decide which guitar to buy...a mid 90's Gibson J100 or a Westerly built mid 90's Guild JF55....ouch

Need this guitar to serve on stage, possibly at times in the studio but looking mostly for a tone monster for the live application...

In the ideal world I'd have both...! Style of music I perform is rock/pop/folk... For a while I was considering just getting an Epi J200 but I do believe you get what you pay for a lot of the time and I can't have problems with the gear onstsage, have experienced that..not fun

I realize these are 2 different guitars...totally...so it might not even be a fair question. But as I'm close to pushing the button for an upcoming show it would be great to see what you have to say...and of course it being a Gibson forum I'll watch the bias ;)

Thanks in advance!

- Polly

I have played a J100xtra...it was a bubinga back and sides...I rated it very highly. These models come in a few variations for woods used (Back and sides)...bubinga, mahogany and maple. If it is the maple model it would be closer to a standard J-200 sound.

Haven't played the Guild but googling it has rosewood B and sides? Sounds pretty good on a couple of Youtube clips.

Do you know if you have a preference for different tonewoods?

Regardless I think either guitar is likely to serve you well I'd hope. yea i'd like both too...slight leaning to the Gibson.

The Gibson is Mahogany, no? The Guild is Rosewood. I'd spring for the Gibson, it'll have more bite. Much will depend on the electronics. But this is the Gibson Forum, so I'll stay loyal and endorse the J100( this coming from a guy who used to play rock on a Martin D35 with a Highlander undersaddle pickup.)

I have played a J100xtra...it was a bubinga back and sides...I rated it very highly. These models come in a few variations for woods used (Back and sides)...bubinga, mahogany and maple. If it is the maple model it would be closer to a standard J-200 sound.

Haven't played the Guild but googling it has rosewood B and sides? Sounds pretty good on a couple of Youtube clips.

Do you know if you have a preference for different tonewoods?

Regardless I think either guitar is likely to serve you well I'd hope. yea i'd like both too...slight leaning to the Gibson.

Thanks for the quick reply...pretty sure it's maple back/sides for the Gib and rosewood for the Guild...The Guild I'm looking at has such a character sound...almost piano like in its lower end of tone...with chiming highs... the Westerlys are really so good and yet underrated.

But there is nothing like a Gib and I can't think clearly :)

The Gibson is Mahogany, no? The Guild is Rosewood. I'd spring for the Gibson, it'll have more bite. Much will depend on the electronics. But this is the Gibson Forum, so I'll stay loyal and endorse the J100( this coming from a guy who used to play rock on a Martin D35 with a Highlander undersaddle pickup.)

Seller doesn't know re the Gib and the git's not in driving distance...but if it's mahoghany I'd love it more. Like the combination of spruce/mahog. Can't seem to find specs on '95 woods will keep looking here.

Seller doesn't know re the Gib and the git's not in driving distance...but if it's mahoghany I'd love it more. Like the combination of spruce/mahog. Can't seem to find specs on '95 woods will keep looking here.

I have a 94 J-100 Xtra and it is Mahogany B&S. The late 80s/to 91 version was Maple (With the belly up bridge), as well as the early to mid 2000s (These have the big Moustache bridge,fretboard inlays and a M.O.P. soundhole ring), before they switched to Bubinga around 2005/6 (Appointments the same as 90s Mahogany version). However there were a few made in 95 that had Rosewood B&S!

If it is of any help, I have found my 100 Xtra (Mahogany) to be a fabulous guitar. Strum heaven in fact. [biggrin]

P1010341.jpg

I did try a JF-55 over at Frailers (Runcorn) about a month ago and was surprised at how heavy the guitar was, it was like picking up a 335! I wasn`t very impressed with that particular guitar, but to be fair he also has two 94 J-100 Xtra`s, one of which I didn`t rate (lacked warmth), and the other sounded very similar to mine, but didn`t feel as nice in the neck department.

Steve.

I have a 94 J-100 Xtra and it is Mahogany B&S. The late 80s/to 91 version was Maple (With the belly up bridge), as well as the early to mid 2000s (These have the big Moustache bridge,fretboard inlays and a M.O.P. soundhole ring), before they switched to Bubinga around 2005/6 (Appointments the same as 90s Mahogany version). However there were a few made in 95 that had Rosewood B&S!

If it is of any help, I have found my 100 Xtra (Mahogany) to be a fabulous guitar. Strum heaven in fact. [biggrin]

P1010341.jpg

I did try a JF-55 over at Frailers (Runcorn) about a month ago and was surprised at how heavy the guitar was, it was like picking up a 335! I wasn`t very impressed with that particular guitar, but to be fair he also has two 94 J-100 Xtra`s, one of which I didn`t rate (lacked warmth), and the other sounded very similar to mine, but didn`t feel as nice in the neck department.

Steve.

Thanks so much Steve, great to read your post! I've decided to go with the Guild! She is magic, really rich tones, very scopey...am fine with the heavier git as I'm 6' and find it actually easier performing with a weightier acoustic especially when hitting those high bar chords, am a standing/walking singer and find it easier to brace with some guitar weight... Also the spruce/rosewood combo will project and cut through the mix so well. If the Gib seller had been able to tell me about the wood mix it might have helped...!

Thanks again for the input and I'm sure to be back as the Gibson always calls and it's just a matter of the right one coming along...

Archived