Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Sg Korina: korina wood or korina color?

PoL

Hi at all! I'm Paul and i write from Italy. In these days i bought a Epiphone Sg Korina made in Korea in 1998 and i would like to know if the body is really in Korina wood or if just korina color?

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks

PoL

Welcome, Paul. There has been some debate on Korina bodies in the past. Korina (or Limba) is similar to Mahogany, but the tone accentuates the mids a little more. Your guitar is a stained Limba, although Gibson does make painted Korina SGs. It looks different from the brownish red mahogany guitar makers usually use, which is more plentiful and easier to work with. The big question is, what is the make-up of the body? My 2010 Korina SG has a core of solid, glued-together blocks of Korina, with a veneer (1/16") of Korina front and back. It's easier to see in some examples than others. They did a fantastic job on mine and it's very hard to tell that it's not "solid". The arguement comes from the definition of solid, I guess. Does solid mean it's one piece? Or does solid mean that it's all Korina, no plywood, no matter how many pieces it takes? Due to the characteristics of the wood, large enough pieces for a guitar body are difficult to find. Some contend that the core is plywood, with the faces of Korina. I know mine isn't. Can't say about others, with any certainty.

Probably more of an answer than you were looking for, so I apoligize for being long-winded. Enjoy your guitar. Stick around and join in, from time to time. There are some great people here. Oh ya, here's your forum warming present. +1

Thanks for the answers, i add some photos of mine (photos of the ebay's advertisement where i bought). When I tried it I was surprised at the quality, but above all by the sound. Very vibrant tonewood!

I owned some gibson sg, (standard, sg pro 71, faded) undoubtedly are another thing but this sg are a great guitar, well done, well finished. Gibson sg faded that i owned wasn't at the same level.

I too think mine is made ​​up of several pieces glued but this also happens with gibson not only with epiphone.

I put this post because I read mixed reviews on the web, some argue that in fact only partly be made ​​korina. This evening I played it again and I am increasingly convinced that the body is all korina.

At this point I know that soon I will take also a explorer or a flying v! [thumbup][biggrin]

p.s. i hope you will understand my bad english!!! [blush]

post-48142-075458200 1351028207_thumb.jpg

post-48142-077672800 1351028960_thumb.jpg

Archived