Gibson Brands Forums

Custom Shop 1960 Les Paul Reissue Question

DuaLeaD

Didn't you ask this same question in another thread? Anyways...

There are three version of the 50th R0. http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/50th-Anniversary-1960-Les-Paul-Standard.aspx

They're all the same guitar except for different finishes and: V1 has a thicker R9 neck. V2 has a slimmer neck. V3 has the slimmest neck, reflector knobs and double ring tuners. The V2 neck has been referred to as a transitional neck but it feels like a regular R0 neck to me. These 50th R0s also have a gold certificate and all have a high gloss finish (look new).

Most regular R0s are VOS (don't look new) but some are made with a high gloss finish. VOS came out in 2006. Before that, the lightly aged look was called Custom Authentic. The certificates used to be 8-1/2" x 11" pieces of paper and became smaller black booklet style certificates in late 2007. Regular R0s have reflector knobs and double ring tuners.

Other than these differences, they are all the same guitar.

Didn't you ask this same question in another thread? Anyways...

There are three version of the 50th R0. http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/50th-Anniversary-1960-Les-Paul-Standard.aspx

They're all the same guitar except for different finishes and: V1 has a thicker R9 neck. V2 has a slimmer neck. V3 has the slimmest neck, reflector knobs and double ring tuners. The V2 neck has been referred to as a transitional neck but it feels like a regular R0 neck to me. These 50th R0s also have a gold certificate and all have a high gloss finish (look new).

Most regular R0s are VOS (don't look new) but some are made with a high gloss finish. VOS came out in 2006. Before that, the lightly aged look was called Custom Authentic. The certificates used to be 8-1/2" x 11" pieces of paper and became smaller black booklet style certificates in late 2007. Regular R0s have reflector knobs and double ring tuners.

Other than these differences, they are all the same guitar.

I asked but no one responded really...Guess I was waiting for ol' R9 to reply :) My dealer tells me that the 50th Anniversary 1960 LP Reissue is out of production and asking the Custom Shop to do a one-off request would dramatically increase the price. So does that kill my dream of getting a 1960 gloss version?

You're not asking that dealer for a 50th anniversary R0, are you? A 50th anniversary could only have been made in 2010. All you want is a regular R0 with a gloss finish. Maybe try a different dealer. You don't need to custom order anything, and in my opinion, asking a dealer to provide you with a gloss model isn't a custom order. The only added cost would be the $300 up charge for gloss. They make gloss models each year but those aren't as common as VOS.

Honestly, the whole gloss vs VOS thing is overrated. I have owned both. The only difference you actually see is on the hardware. Is it really that important for you to have shinny pickups, bridge and tailpiece? The body sometimes does have a slight milky haze to it but you can clean it off with a good polish and the guitar will look the same as a gloss model but with dull looking hardware. Virtuoso Cleaner and Polish. Look it up.

I don't see a Custom Shop 1960 Reissue in Gloss offered on the site currently and yes, I am pretty picky about cosmetics...I suppose when the guitar is north of $2000, that is okay =)

So you're saying, I can just specify gloss and it won't set me back by more than a few hundred $ extra? My dealer tells me that anything special request from Custom Shop adds a ridiculous amount to the price. I feel very F-ed over on my 1965 Firebird VII Reissue. It was going for $4,200 at the time on Musician's Friend, was clearly listed on the Gibson website as in-production and offered in the original 12 colors, yet the Custom Shop jacked the price up to $7,000 when I asked for it in "Pelham Blue" with chrome hardware (the only difference from stock would be the chrome instead of gold). I gotta admit, I love my Firebird and will cherish it forever, but it SEVERELY soured my experience with the Custom Shop. I am now leaning toward getting a 2012 Les Paul Standard and enjoying the new features, but I can't get that 1960 reissue out of my head....

• 2 weeks later...

Archived