Gibson Brands Forums

advise on changing pick-ups

luvgibson

I would like to change the p/ups on my 1998 ES350T from humbuckers to p90 type. Has anyone attempted something like this?.. Would, for example, the p90 cover the hole left by the h/bucker and would I need "risers" to ensure the p90 is at the correct height etc...

I would surely welcome advise

Thanks George

I would like to change the p/ups on my 1998 ES350T from humbuckers to p90 type. Has anyone attempted something like this?.. Would, for example, the p90 cover the hole left by the h/bucker and would I need "risers" to ensure the p90 is at the correct height etc...

I would surely welcome advise

Thanks George

Don't think putting a soapbar or dog-ear P90 in/over the existing hole will work - you'd have to hack the guitar about. However you can buy P90 style single coil p/us in a humbucker housing;

Kent Armstrong - IMHO some of the very best pickups out there. This is what you need!

http://www.wdmusic.com/kent_armstrong_p90_family.html

Lindy Fralin - scroll down a bit, these have staggered polepieces.

http://www.fralinpickups.com/humbuckers.asp

You could email either of these manufacturers with your q's - they are both very good.

Did it on my ES165 but it wasnt pretty and it wasnt a deep p90.

A full depth p90 would be harder to pull off.

I basically made a black plate to fit over the existing hole using the existin 4 mouting ring holes.

then I mounted the p90 to that.

If I had the ability it would be cool to make p90 dogear cover that was as wide as a standard hb mounting ring. holes in the top like a ring.

Then you just screw the PU to the cover and have a nice day.

If you like the sound you are probably better off going with someones hb sized p90

Look at the Gibson P-94's

"The P-94 is a unique combination that provides the best of both worlds - the classic Gibson P-90 sound in a traditional humbucker-size housing. Replacing a humbucker with the P-94 requires no routing or other damaging modifications to the guitar."

P_94_silver.jpg

Archived