Gibson Brands Forums

Suggestions 4 Epiphone Replacement PUPs?

LeoPaul422

Suggestions 4 Epiphone Replacement PUPs?

I want to replace the pickups on my Epiphone 1275 Doubleneck. I noticed that the Stew Mac Golden Age pups have gotten good reviews. Have any of you tried them?

Any other inexpensive replacements?

GFS pickups are fairly popular in the budget-bracket. They can be found at guitarfetish.com. They have lots of variety, at insanely low prices. Personally I would pay the extra bucks and put a set of Wolfetones in all of my guitars if I could, but those are around $120/piece, so might be out of your budget. Another option is ship him your pickups and he'll rewind them to the spec of one of His pickups for ~$65, and he has a "wind it 'til you like it" guarantee. Plenty of options in the market today.

-Ryan

GFS pickups are fairly popular in the budget-bracket. They can be found at guitarfetish.com.

-Ryan

Thanks Ryan.

I seen the guitarfetish.com site but I didn't see any reviews of their pups. The Golden Age pups have excellent customers reviews.

GFS pickups are a great value, no there are no reviews on their website but there are plenty on the web. I love the '59 I have on one of my guitars.

Now, to get pickups recommendations you need to indicate what you are looking for sound wise, you have to keep that in mind when considering reviews too.

I just ordered a set of DiMarzio 36th anniversary pickups but have not installed them, I think these should be a consideration for you too.

Why?

Good brand, good price (I was able to use the accessory coupon code on musicians friend), about $60 to $70 per pickup most of the models have 4 conductor wires (except for the models labeled vintage), meaning they can be split into single coil with a push/pull switch, most importantly they ahev Alnico V magnets which produce a brighter sound, probably that's a good match for the 12-string side of your guitar.

Take a look,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgbgUMqUMns

GFS pickups are a great value, no there are no reviews on their website but there are plenty on the web. I love the '59 I have on one of my guitars.

Now, to get pickups recommendations you need to indicate what you are looking for sound wise, you have to keep that in mind when considering reviews too.

I just ordered a set of DiMarzio 36th anniversary pickups but have not installed them, I think these should be a consideration for you too.

Why?

Good brand, good price (I was able to use the accessory coupon code on musicians friend), about $60 to $70 per pickup most of the models have 4 conductor wires (except for the models labeled vintage), meaning they can be split into single coil with a push/pull switch, most importantly they ahev Alnico V magnets which produce a brighter sound, probably that's a good match for the 12-string side of your guitar.

Take a look,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgbgUMqUMns

Thanks Riffster.

I will consider the Dimarzios. That is a good price. Not much more than the Golden Age. I have an Evolution on one of my Kramer SuperStrats and I really like it.

Archived