Gibson Brands Forums

Crazing on 1946 LG 2

Mellenhead

Hi kids,

I have in my possesion a 1946 LG 2 for a 14 day period. It's a fine example with minimal dings, no cracks and crazing over the entire top,sides,back and neck. The guitars is very glossy and I was concerned as to how this affects value. Is the checking/crazing under the gloss finish natural? Or should I be able to feel the separation with my fingernail? It appears as though a clear coat has been applied at some time. Did the LG2's originally have a glossy finish?

Thanks in advance.

I can't imagine a guitar of that age NOT having some finish checking/crazing. Even if the original finish had been "oversprayed", the checking would be visible under the overspray, although you might not feel it.

IF... the guitar has been refinished, or oversprayed, it affects the value by up to 50%.

Most repairs, refinishes and oversprays can be detected by inspecting the guitar under "blacklight". Most of us old hippies still have a blacklight stashed away in the basement somewhere, but any shop that specializes, or even dabbles, in "vintage" instruments should be able to do a blacklight inspection for you.

Before the "vintage" craze began in the 70's, and it became "cool" to play beat-up looking instruments in the 80's, it was very common to have finish work done to keep our instruments looking shiny and new. Sometimes we even stripped beat-up nitro finishes off guitars and refinished them in POLY. If we only knew then what we know now.

Glossy doesn't always mean refinsh or overspray. If it's been cleaned the original lacquer can be quite hard and shiny.

The checking is normal and I can't feel it with my fingernail. Share some pictures. If you take them with a flash that can help get an idea of any overspray.

Glossy doesn't always mean refinsh or overspray. If it's been cleaned the original lacquer can be quite hard and shiny.

The checking is normal and I can't feel it with my fingernail. Share some pictures. If you take them with a flash that can help get an idea of any overspray.

Thanks for the info. My camera is non fuctional and as luck would have it, I'm headed to the city tomorrow and a camera is on the list when I hit the Costco. I'll post photos in a few days.

• 2 weeks later...

The finish looks natural(original) to me from the pics. That laquer-checking is normal(comes with age). The finish has been buffed out to its natural shine. It would shine like that when new.....without the 'checking' of course.

Nice-looking and clean guitar [thumbup]

It's really hard to tell from the photo, but a clear coat could have been sprayed over the top at some point. It looks like the bridge and pickguard may be glossy as well, which may indicate an overspray. But as Rod says, it's possible it has just been buffed out.

The original finish would have been glossy, and even old nitro buffs out very well, although it can accentuate the crazing.

This guitar has a pretty extreme case of crazing, which if the finish is all original, has a small impact on value, but not as much impact as a refinish. The impact on value of severe finish crazing, including areas where the lacquer has fallen off, is a function of the rarity of the guitar. In the case of a late-40's LG-2, these are fairly common, so a guitar with an all-original finish with only nominal crazing will fetch a premium compared to one with extreme crazing or other finish damage.

As has been mentioned, a complete refinish has a big impact on the value of a vintage guitar.

Thanks you guys.

I'm concerned about the area on the heel where the finish has chipped away. Any solutions to prevent further chipping?

I just love this guitar and keep reaching for it day and night.

Is the finish still actively chipping off? That would be a cosmetic repair possibly best left to a professional. It could be over-sprayed with nitro-cell lacquer and blended in to the finish.

DIY- with some clear touch-up lacquer.....But I don,t know of any amateur/DIY solutions that would result in 'pretty'.

However, stabilising further chipping of the finish is the goal I believe!

Nice-looking guitar [thumbup]

Is the finish still actively chipping off? That would be a cosmetic repair possibly best left to a professional. It could be over-sprayed with nitro-cell lacquer and blended in to the finish.

DIY- with some clear touch-up lacquer.....But I don,t know of any amateur/DIY solutions that would result in 'pretty'.

However, stabilising further chipping of the finish is the goal I believe!

Nice-looking guitar [thumbup]

Well I've learned long ago my limited capabilities in the DYI arena. There's a master vintage Gibson luthier up in Eugene OR I might go see and I'm looking into another in the bay area south of here also. Since it is still coming off I really do want to have it taken care of.

Well I've learned long ago my limited capabilities in the DYI arena. There's a master vintage Gibson luthier up in Eugene OR I might go see and I'm looking into another in the bay area south of here also. Since it is still coming off I really do want to have it taken care of.

You are going to need professional help to stabilize that finish, particularly the way it is coming off the neck heel. If it were me, I would send photos to the guy in Eugene, and see what he suggests. He will no doubt want to see it before committing to a course of action, but his comments may help you decide if and how to pursue it.

Although it wasn't playing that made the finish craze and start falling off the neck, playing the guitar is likely to make it worse.

Archived