Gibson Brands Forums

'53 LG-1 Original bridge dimensions?

JAddison

Hello all,

I recently bought a 1953 LG-1 and its all original apart from the bridge.

Its current bridge looks like a reverse post 1965 LG unit. The wood must be cheap as its painted/finished in black black.

I want my luthier to make me a proper rosewood bridge in the correct dimensions as the original.

He cant make it for me unless he has the dimensions or even better an existing one to copy.

Any ideas?

I assume you've identified it as a 1953 based on a FON with a "Y" prefix.

Often, bridges are replaced due to a flaw with the original, such as splitting. Sometimes, replacement bridges are made larger to cover flaws or damage in the top, so you can't assume that re-installing an original-type bridge will be that easy.

I also assume that you are positive that this is not one of the plastic bridges, which are a dull black, and can be identified in part by the fact that they have no pearl dots covering the through-bolts used on wooden bridges. The plastic bridges use small lag bolts fastened up from the underside of the top into the bridge. They are easily identififed by the use of a small mirror placed under the bridgeplate on the inside.

Not meaning to question your knowledge here: just using this as a general educational opportunity.

While I don't know the exact dimensions of the LG rectangualr bridges, I do have the dimensions of the rectangualr J-45 bridge, which may be the same or very similar.

If you could post a photo of your existing bridge, it would be helpful.

Repro bridges tend to be a bit oversize to cover the tan line left by the original bridge. Making one based on photos though should not be all that much trouble for a skilled repair guy.

Something else you might think about, if I recall correctly the 1950s LG-1s have those large spruce bridge plates which can be nothing but trouble as the string ends just eat up the soft wood. I would go ahead and have either a thin maple overlay slapped on or the whole thing replaced with a smaller maple bridge plate as found on most other Gibsons.

I assume you've identified it as a 1953 based on a FON with a "Y" prefix.

Often, bridges are replaced due to a flaw with the original, such as splitting. Sometimes, replacement bridges are made larger to cover flaws or damage in the top, so you can't assume that re-installing an original-type bridge will be that easy.

I also assume that you are positive that this is not one of the plastic bridges, which are a dull black, and can be identified in part by the fact that they have no pearl dots covering the through-bolts used on wooden bridges. The plastic bridges use small lag bolts fastened up from the underside of the top into the bridge. They are easily identififed by the use of a small mirror placed under the bridgeplate on the inside.

Not meaning to question your knowledge here: just using this as a general educational opportunity.

While I don't know the exact dimensions of the LG rectangualr bridges, I do have the dimensions of the rectangualr J-45 bridge, which may be the same or very similar.

If you could post a photo of your existing bridge, it would be helpful.

Here is mine;

bridgece.jpg

20121107223115.jpg

It looks to me like the previous bridge on here was already a bit oversize, judging from the exposed footprint under this one. If you replace this with an original-style bridge, you may have even more exposed bare wood, which may not look so hot.

For reference, the original rectangular bridge of the J-45 was 1" (25.4mm) by 6" (152.4mm). Since the two guitars should have identical pin spacing of 2 1/8" ((54mm), the bridges should be identical. Unfortunately, my bridge plan details are on large sheets that won't fit into my scanner.

The ideal bridge plate for this guitar is 1/8" (just over 3mm) thick solid maple.

By the way, it looks to be in lovely condition.

It looks to me like the previous bridge on here was already a bit oversize, judging from the exposed footprint under this one. If you replace this with an original-style bridge, you may have even more exposed bare wood, which may not look so hot.

For reference, the original rectangular bridge of the J-45 was 1" (25.4mm) by 6" (152.4mm). Since the two guitars should have identical pin spacing of 2 1/8" ((54mm), the bridges should be identical. Unfortunately, my bridge plan details are on large sheets that won't fit into my scanner.

The ideal bridge plate for this guitar is 1/8" (just over 3mm) thick solid maple.

By the way, it looks to be in lovely condition.

I think you are right, she has definitely had a 'wrap around' bridge at some point as there are 3 small holes in the bottom/side (they dont go all the way through). I guess the good news is that there wont have been much stress to the top wood whilst that was in place, there is no sight of bellying at all.

I think I will leave the current bridge on there as she pays really nicely and I will still be left with an exposed footprint if I do get an original sized bridge fitted.

She has a really open loud tone, quite different from all of the other LG1's I have played.

Archived