Gibson Brands Forums

es 335 Pro VS Les Paul Tribute Plus

Achilles Heel

Hi! Long time lurker few times poster. I am looking for some advice because I will be buying a guitar within the next month and I have narrowed my choices down to either the Epiphone ES 335 Pro limited edition or the Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus. The styles of music I play are blues, rock, classic rock, alternative and I only play at home. This will be my only guitar for at least the next 2-3 years, and quite possibly my only guitar for the rest of my life depending on other priorities.

The number one suggestion I read most says to play both and pick the one you like the most but I have played both and like both guitars equally. The prices are roughly equal by the time I add a case to the ES 335 Pro since the Les Paul Tribute Plus includes the case. One of the primary advantages the Les Paul Tribute Plus has is that it already has Gibson electronics. The electrics in the ES 335 Pro can be changed out later but that's an additional cost. The ES 335 Pro seems to be getting difficult to find already so I may have trouble finding one later if I am able to get a second guitar.

Anyone own both of these guitars? Which one would you choose if you could own only one of the two?

Thanks!

Hi! Long time lurker few times poster. I am looking for some advice because I will be buying a guitar within the next month and I have narrowed my choices down to either the Epiphone ES 335 Pro limited edition or the Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus. The styles of music I play are blues, rock, classic rock, alternative and I only play at home. This will be my only guitar for at least the next 2-3 years, and quite possibly my only guitar for the rest of my life depending on other priorities.

The number one suggestion I read most says to play both and pick the one you like the most but I have played both and like both guitars equally. The prices are roughly equal by the time I add a case to the ES 335 Pro since the Les Paul Tribute Plus includes the case. One of the primary advantages the Les Paul Tribute Plus has is that it already has Gibson electronics. The electrics in the ES 335 Pro can be changed out later but that's an additional cost. The ES 335 Pro seems to be getting difficult to find already so I may have trouble finding one later if I am able to get a second guitar.

Anyone own both of these guitars? Which one would you choose if you could own only one of the two?

Thanks!

I own a Gibson LP & 335. I own 17 other electrics as well, but if I were in your place, I would get the LP. It is very difficult to change the pups on a 335. You'd probably have to hire a tech to do it and the LP is a much more sturdy guitar. The LP will play all the styles of music that you like.

The number one suggestion I read most says to play both and pick the one you like the most but I have played both and like both guitars equally.

I'd recommend choosing the one that feels more comfortable to hold and play, seated or standing. The one that feels best is the one you're gonna want to play, regardless of "tone".

:-k[confused] And yet, some just keep doing it......

I'd choose the LP because of the electronics. I have a '97 LE LP and it too has the gibby innards.

I've never had a problem with the switch or any of the electronics.

I also believe there is a long wait for ordering a Dot case (at least there was).

If it wasn't for that, I'd go with the Dot.

The 335 feels better to me, especially when sitting. If you only play while standing, then it's a toss-up. I played in a band in the 60's, but learned while sitting, practiced while sitting. Without a guitar strap. For me, it's how it feels sitting or standing.

Please, no flames. While my Avatar has a Les Paul, a Sheraton feels better while sitting and standing.

Hi! I own both guitars and each one is a good choice. The '57 humbuckers in the LP are a strong feature, as is the long neck tenon. My 335 Pro is an Iced Tea burst and really looks great. I've thought of swapping the pickups from one to the other- I'd end up with a good Les Paul and a sort of Epiphone version of the Gibson Larry Carlton 335! My advise is to play each guitar and decide by feel and sound. I had a discussion with a music store sales person and we both agreed that it is not enough to only choose a single model- there is always inconsistancy from one example to another. A buyer should be flexible. I think most would agree that the "best" guitar is the one that seems to speak to you when you first play it. I know that sounds Zen-like but it is often true. If you cannot get to play many different samples and you must order one, I would say that the 335 Pro is a very versatile guitar. I had no problem finding a case- in fact my local dealer had one in stock and matched an on-line price for me.

Good luck!

Archived