Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Blowout Fever....Help!

RobG

Need some help. I've been holding out but my will is starting to crumble. Have been thinking about a Classic Custom for awhile. Was trying to pick between Cream and Wine Red. Looks like I missed out on the Wine Red. Just found out today another store is blowing out Traditionals for only a few bucks more. So what are the real differences between a Classic Custom and a Traditional beyond the fretboard? If there's only about $100 difference between the two, which is the better guitar for the money? What would you pick between Cream Classic Custom or a Traditional in Iced Tea or Light Burst? My wife is going to kill me.

Rob

Update to original post.

Looks like I can use an MF coupon to take another 15% off of the CC. So now there's about a $300 difference between the CC and the Traditional. 60's neck vs 50's neck. Baked maple vs rosewood fret board. Same pickups. People with the CC's seem very pleased with them. Unfortunately I have not been able to actually to play one. None of the GC's in my area ever have any in stock.

Great deal on the Traditional but the new deal on the CC seems to be almost stealing. Wish I could get one of each but that's just not going to happen. Would appreciate some advice from the experts on the forum.

Is the Cream finish going to turn more yellow over time? Hope so.

Rob

Hello Rob!

I know the Traditional is more appreciated (likely to hold it's value better over years), and the Gibson people are rather conservative and prefer the rosewood board...but You can't go wrong with the CC either.

It's built quality of perfect - never heard anyone complaining about the QC because of these.

The baked maple board might look strange at first glance, because people got used to see the black ebony board on a Custom, but it feels exactly the same! It's a dense, hard wood, plays great!

As for the neck profiles: 50's and 60's style are worlds apart. It is really up to You which one You prefer. Noone would be able to convince You that one is better than the other.

Tough decision. If I had to choose now (after owning a CC since the beginning of the year) I would choose the CC again. Later I would buy a 2013 (the new non-weight-relieved) Traditional in Caramel Honeyburst finish. [drool]

Whether the cream would turn to yellow?...hm...good question! Depends on whether the laquer used is the same as it's used to be in - let's say - 70's.

Cheers... Bence

Hello Rob!

I know the Traditional is more appreciated (likely to hold it's value better over years), and the Gibson people are rather conservative and prefer the rosewood board...but You can't go wrong with the CC either.

It's built quality of perfect - never heard anyone complaining about the QC because of these.

The baked maple board might look strange at first glance, because people got used to see the black ebony board on a Custom, but it feels exactly the same! It's a dense, hard wood, plays great!

As for the neck profiles: 50's and 60's style are worlds apart. It is really up to You which one You prefer. Noone would be able to convince You that one is better than the other.

Tough decision. If I had to choose now (after owning a CC since the beginning of the year) I would choose the CC again. Later I would buy a 2013 (the new non-weight-relieved) Traditional in Caramel Honeyburst finish. [drool]

Whether the cream would turn to yellow?...hm...good question! Depends on whether the laquer used is the same as it's used to be in - let's say - 70's.

Cheers... Bence

Thanks for the input! I pulled the trigger on the Cream CC. Just too good of a deal to pass up. Should be delivered on Monday.

Rob

Archived