Gibson Brands Forums

vintage Gibson acoustic

JoshuaAldi00

Hi! I recently inherited a Gibson acoustic. I've done some research on the guitar to find out exactly what I have, but I'm still very unsure on the exact year of make.

Style: J45-ADJ

Number: 090079

From what I've gathered so far (based on the serial number), that it may be a 1967.

I believe it may have had a sunburst top at one point, and I was told the guitar was restored at one point.

Unfortunately, I can't really afford to keep it, so I would love some help from the awesome people at the Gibson forums to help me to confidently identify the guitar and maybe find the monetary value.

post-49678-083874000 1353718622_thumb.jpg

post-49678-066643000 1353718749_thumb.jpg

post-49678-022499900 1353718758_thumb.jpg

post-49678-018012900 1353718765_thumb.jpg

Please let me know if I need to provide any additional pictures. Thanks in advance :)

Hello, welcome to the Forum. I am scratching my head over this one. It has a combination of odd features. The serial # itself suggests 1967. The label itself looks to be a bit larger than ones I have seen. The top 'appears' to be mahogany which suggeats an LG-O model, as well as the pickguard. The mock-tortoise binding suggests - 70's.

A couple of questions....

is the serial # impressed on the back of the peghead? Made in USA stamp?

-is there a volute on the back of the peghead/neck junction

-what are the dimensions of the body (across the upper and lower bout)?

-Can you post pictures of the back (body and peghead)?

P.S. I just read the 'might of been re-finished part' That might explain the 'top looking like mahogany'.... It should be spruce if its a J-45

Maybe others will weigh in on an ID also...

Rod

The label on the guitar appears to have no relationship to the actual guitar. This is unambiguously an LG-O, almost certainly from sometime between 1963 and 1969. If you measure across the widest part of the body (perpendicular to the neck, just below the bridge), you should find a body width of about 14 1/2" (368mm). By comparison, a J-45 has a body with across the lower bout of just over 16" (406mm).

The LG-O is an all-mahogany guitar, including the top. It was Gibson's lowest-priced entry-level student guitar, and it's current value reflects that status.

An LG-O in excellent original shape from this period might bring about $500 in today's market. It is impossible to tell from the photos if it has been refinished, which would significantly reduce its value. These originally had a satin (low gloss) finish, and they were never sunburst.

I'm not sure where that label came from. An LG-O would not have had a label originally, and this is clearly not a J-45. The LG-O might have had a serial number stamped on the back of the headstock (where the strings terminate at the tuning machines at the top of the guitar) in this period.

I think 1968 was the first year they switched from plastic bridges to the adjustable rosewood ones, such as on this guitar.

EDIT: of course, if Gibson refurbed the top later they may have swapped out the plasic bridge (or whatever was there) for the adjustable one.

Hello, welcome to the Forum. I am scratching my head over this one. It has a combination of odd features. The serial # itself suggests 1967. The label itself looks to be a bit larger than ones I have seen. The top 'appears' to be mahogany which suggeats an LG-O model, as well as the pickguard. The mock-tortoise binding suggests - 70's.

A couple of questions....

is the serial # impressed on the back of the peghead? Made in USA stamp?

-is there a volute on the back of the peghead/neck junction

-what are the dimensions of the body (across the upper and lower bout)?

-Can you post pictures of the back (body and peghead)?

P.S. I just read the 'might of been re-finished part' That might explain the 'top looking like mahogany'.... It should be spruce if its a J-45

Maybe others will weigh in on an ID also...

Rod

Sorry for the late reply.

I've included more pictures, but I've used almost all of my global upload quota so here are 4 links.

http://oi49.tinypic.com/2629wtj.jpg

http://oi45.tinypic.com/2rmujoj.jpg

http://oi46.tinypic.com/214p3t.jpg

http://oi49.tinypic.com/28st16d.jpg

The label in the soundhole reads Kalamazoo, Michigan U.S.A.

The number on the back of the headstock is the same as the number in the soundhole: 090079

Measurement-wise, the guitar is 17 inches in length, not including the neck.

I'm changing the strings right now so I'll investigate the label inside to see what's going on with that.

Lol I thought so *sigh*

I really hope that doesn't keep me from being able to find a buyer.

So I think it's safe to go ahead and say that this is a 1967 LG-O

I've been reading prices around the $500+ range.

Any expert opinions on what I should ask for as a starting price, and where online would be a good place to try and sell?

Lol I thought so *sigh*

I've been reading prices around the $500+ range.

Any expert opinions on what I should ask for as a starting price, and where online would be a good place to try and sell?

Hey, the Gibson serial number article says this is sure enough a '67. I've had two LG-0s, looked at a bunch. Never seen such a nice bookmatched back, or enclosed machines. Question: is the bridge adjustable, or no?

Lol I thought so *sigh*

I think that would be fairly safe to say! Its a very nice-looking Gibson and in nice shape. The looks of the truss rod cover bugs me (but thats is easily changed).

The fake label bugs me but makes for a great story!

You may have luck selling it in the $400-$500 range. I really can,t say as the market is wierd these days.

Good Luck

The number on the back of the headstock is the same as the number in the soundhole: 090079

Measurement-wise, the guitar is 17 inches in length, not including the neck.

I'm changing the strings right now so I'll investigate the label inside to see what's going on with that.

The length of the guitar eliminates the J-45, if there was ever any doubt. A J-45 has a body length of about 20 1/4". The dimensions I gave you were perpendicular to the long axis of the body--across the fattest part, perpendicular to the strings. Should be about 14 1/2" on this guitar, which is an LG-O. I have no idea where that label came from.

Archived