Gibson Brands Forums

Pre-war Kalamazoo love

Uprange

Hi all - I'm new to the forum and looked around for a vintage Kalamazoo love thread and didn't see one. Sorry if I'm not following protocol, but if you have an old Kalamazoo or Gibson-made guitar, give a post - I'd love to see what people have out there.

Here is a pic of my Kalamazoo KG-11 I picked up a couple years ago. I know it is probably the lowest rung of the pre-war ladder, but I was looking for a KG-14 and this was erroneously listed as a 14. No one wanted it, so I got her at a good price. Although it looks pretty beat up, the neck is straight, the action is low, and it sounds like the blues. She probably has another 80 years left in her.

I had never played a guitar with a real V-neck before and immediately loved it. Really fun to play and loud as hell.

Anyone else out there with something?

post-49688-016705000 1353884817_thumb.jpg

sweet thread! i just discovered the wide world of kalamazoo recently. I have a KG-31 archtop and a 1939 lap steel which im currently in process of refurbishing, trying to find all original parts. both were purchased on ebay. the archtop i knew nothing about besides being drawn to it aesthetically at first. but it plays beautifully and has since become the main acoustic in my collection. still not entirely sure on the year of manufacture, but sometimes between the 30's and 40's. the lap steel was basically stripped when i bought it. someone took the pick-up clean out, and cut the strings as well as putting really crappy tuners on it. i have since found original kluson tuners, got a deadstock pack of steel kalamazoo strings from way back when (orange box and wax paper envelopes, never used!) and me and my lil brother installed a temp pick-up until we can find the right fit.

both are really quality instruments. and such a joy to play. i love gibson brand too, but there's something i really dig about these old kalamazoo guitars...the look and sound, etc. so big fan here!!

here are my two:

379047_10151125252238226_1593228510_n.jpg

the lapsteel before we fixed it:

425671_10151106548223226_619076880_n.jpg

sweet thread! i just discovered the wide world of kalamazoo recently. I have a KG-31 archtop and a 1939 lap steel which im currently in process of refurbishing, trying to find all original parts. both were purchased on ebay. the archtop i knew nothing about besides being drawn to it aesthetically at first. but it plays beautifully and has since become the main acoustic in my collection. still not entirely sure on the year of manufacture, but sometimes between the 30's and 40's. the lap steel was basically stripped when i bought it. someone took the pick-up clean out, and cut the strings as well as putting really crappy tuners on it. i have since found original kluson tuners, got a deadstock pack of steel kalamazoo strings from way back when (orange box and wax paper envelopes, never used!) and me and my lil brother installed a temp pick-up until we can find the right fit.

both are really quality instruments. and such a joy to play. i love gibson brand too, but there's something i really dig about these old kalamazoo guitars...the look and sound, etc. so big fan here!!

here are my two:

379047_10151125252238226_1593228510_n.jpg

the lapsteel before we fixed it:

425671_10151106548223226_619076880_n.jpg

You got lucky finding one with a pickguard! They are usually long gone. Nice!

I had an old Kay Kraft Venetian with a pickguard which was a little warped and it used to buzz against the body like crazy. I attached a little square of foam under the PG and problem solved. Easy to completely remove.

I had an old Kay Kraft Venetian with a pickguard which was a little warped and it used to buzz against the body like crazy. I attached a little square of foam under the PG and problem solved. Easy to completely remove.

Lawdy, they did have some flimsy pickguard. I had to do the same thing with a Ventian and a Kay Deluxe K-2 (one of the last round soundhole archtops with the Zorzi adjustable neck made by Kay).

• 1 month later...

Hi all - I'm new to the forum and looked around for a vintage Kalamazoo love thread and didn't see one. Sorry if I'm not following protocol, but if you have an old Kalamazoo or Gibson-made guitar, give a post - I'd love to see what people have out there.

Here is a pic of my Kalamazoo KG-11 I picked up a couple years ago. I know it is probably the lowest rung of the pre-war ladder, but I was looking for a KG-14 and this was erroneously listed as a 14. No one wanted it, so I got her at a good price. Although it looks pretty beat up, the neck is straight, the action is low, and it sounds like the blues. She probably has another 80 years left in her.

I had never played a guitar with a real V-neck before and immediately loved it. Really fun to play and loud as hell.

Anyone else out there with something?

Here's my KG-11 - LOVE it! Original case and only one 'ding'post-52387-080100000 1357608749_thumb.jpg.

Archived