Gibson Brands Forums

Hi!

Blackbird99

Hello everyone, I`m new here and after playing a bit of my dads SG and listning to alot of music, I`ve decided to keep saving and in the end spend my hard-earned cash on a Gibson les Paul! However, I have a question: after lots of research I`ve narrowed the search down to two guitars, the traditional (Nice finish in Iced Tea, good reviews) or the deluxe with mini-humbuckers (My favourite band being the Who and Pete Townshend used quite a bit of these in the 70`s. So these new ones are reissues then?).

Anyway, I would get the deluxe from Germany-based Thomann music store, and would get the trad. locally. It`s a two-hour drive to the music store with the Les Paul by the way. Other bands I like are the Kinks and ("Now for something completely different") Led Zeppelin.

Any other Les Pauls I forgot to mention/Don`t know about? Thanks alot! [biggrin]

Hello Blackbird and welcome to the Forums!

Neither are reissues. Reissues are made by Custom Shop, not Gibson USA. The Traditional is as close to the original '58-'60 Les Paul as it can get, but definitely not an exact replica, like a Historic Reissue would be.

The Deluxe is a Gibson USA model too, so it's not a reissue either. It's not even period-correct as far as specs are concerned (no volute, doesn't have a pancake body, etc...). It's a great guitar, with Epiphone New York mini-humbuckers which are brighter than the "full-size" PAFs reproductions.

To put it simple: reissues can be identified by Custom Shop serial numbers which are different to Gibson USA 9-digit layout, and come with certificate of authencity as well.

Good luck! Cheers... Bence

My personal experience with 'the Company', has been very positive. Guitars has been delivered (to the UK) in several layers of appropriate packaging. Check with US Import laws though, as you may have to pay Import Tax from the EU. Also bear-in-mind, that if it is not the guitar you thought you ordered, or there is any damage, it will be a hassle to return...

As to choice of guitar, I can't comment, as I haven't had the priviledge of playing both. But a Gibson is a Gibson and which ever you choose, will give you a lifetime musical enjoyment!

Recently my brother in law purchased a Traditional Pro Plus, out of the box, tremendous. I love the pickups..

Are they the same as on the traditional then? By the way, sorry for the questions, but to Bence, what do you mean with the Deluxe not having a pancaked body? and what neckes do the trads and the deluxes have? I happen to like the big fat 50`s necks :)

... but to Bence, what do you mean with the Deluxe not having a pancaked body? and what neckes do the trads and the deluxes have? I happen to like the big fat 50`s necks :)

Hello Blackbird!

The so-called "Norlin-era" (1968-86) Gibson LPs, - like the Deluxe - had sandwiched bodies (two slabs of mahogany with a thinner maple layer between them) between years 1969-76 - this is what's called "pancake"-body. Please refer to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_Les_Paul#Deluxe

The Trads are offered with both 50s and 60s style necks. Check Gibson's site for the variatons of this model. As well for the Deluxe's neck profile.

The Trad Pro's pickups are coil-splitable with the push-pull switch volume control pots.

Cheers... Bence

Are they the same as on the traditional then?

I think yes.

Neck Position '57 Classic

Bridge Position '57 Classic Plus

I think the LP Trad. Pro. Plus just has a more highly figured top.

I have two excellent Les Pauls but after playing this one, I am considering maybe there is room for one more...

Main differences between the Trad & Trad Pro are (I'll call these 'Trad' & 'Pro' respectively...)

1) Trad has '50s neck, Pro '60s neck.

2) Pro has only 3 finishes, although the Trad probably also comes in the same finishes.

3) Pro has BurstBucker P'ups, Trad has PATs...

Here's their specs...

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Traditional.aspx

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Traditional-Pro.aspx

Main differences between the Trad & Trad Pro are (I'll call these 'Trad' & 'Pro' respectively...)

1) Trad has '50s neck, Pro '60s neck.

2) Pro has only 3 finishes, although the Trad probably also comes in the same finishes.

3) Pro has BurstBucker P'ups, Trad has PATs...

Here's their specs...

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Traditional.aspx

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Traditional-Pro.aspx

I must say I`m really liking the bursts on the traditional: the caramel, the light, the honey... the wine red on the trad. plus is really nice too, wish they still had wine red Deluxes. I suppose there are plenty of WR Deluxes on Ebay.

... wish they still had wine red Deluxes...

Me too...and any of the traditional Deluxe colors (natural, black, wine-red, tobacco-burst, even the sparkles), but the Goldtop. The one-and-only Goldtop color option did stop me from getting one for long. Already have a 50's Tribute Goldtop...I (would) like to collect guitars to achieve wide diversity of instruments. My goal is to have all the different LP variations made spec-wise (2PU, 3PU, minis, P-90, all-mahogany, and so on - hope I'll live long enough to get there, tough).

So, Yes! Gibson, add more color options to the Deluxe model, please!

Cheers... Bence

Archived