Gibson Brands Forums

Ebony ES-359 Neck Size

Roverdog

Hi,

I'm looking for some info on my ES-359 that I just picked up.

From the serial number it appears that it was built in 2010. I have read different info on the neck sizes. On the Gibson Site it lists the neck size as similar to the Lucille, while on some retailer sites the neck size is listed as the 60/30.

Also, the 359 was really hard to find in Canada. Has the production of the ES-359s stopped? I was looking to purchase one in Antique Sunburst but I could only find the one I got, which was wbony.

Thanks in Advance

I don't think production has stopped. It is more like some dealers have not ordered them. There are 2 neck profiles. 59 and 30/60, but we know that size can vary within those groups. You probably have a 59 profile. The 30/60 is a thinner profile than a 59. Contact Gibson Customer Service with the serial number and they may be able to provide the details on the neck size.

I don't think production has stopped. It is more like some dealers have not ordered them. There are 2 neck profiles. 59 and 30/60, but we know that size can vary within those groups. You probably have a 59 profile. The 30/60 is a thinner profile than a 59. Contact Gibson Customer Service with the serial number and they may be able to provide the details on the neck size.

CR9, I think you are thinking of the 339. The 359 has the gold hardware and an ebony fingerboard. So right now they are very hard to find because Gibson has not made any since the beginning of 2012 (my 2012 was completed on Jan 5th 2012).

I thought all of the necks on the 359's were the 30/60, but it may have changed over the few years of production.

I had a conversation with a Gibson rep a month or so ago, and he did not know if any more would be produced.

CR9, I think you are thinking of the 339. The 359 has the gold hardware and an ebony fingerboard. So right now they are very hard to find because Gibson has not made any since the beginning of 2012 (my 2012 was completed on Jan 5th 2012).

I thought all of the necks on the 359's were the 30/60, but it may have changed over the few years of production.

I had a conversation with a Gibson rep a month or so ago, and he did not know if any more would be produced.

I just talked with the shop manager in Memphis and they are still building the 359 and shipping them to the dealers that are ordering them. They have made a lot of them since the first of the year. As with all models, that may change, but as of today, they are still building the 359. Maybe they are hard to find because they do sell fast.

You are right. I was wrong. I looked around on the web today and there are some out there again. When I was looking in August/September there were only 2 new 359's anywhere on the web and both were ebony (my preference actually). One was a 2011 and the other was a 2012. I bought the 2012. Today I saw that GC has 20 or 30 sunburst 359s and a couple of smaller retailers have 1 a piece. All sunburst though.

Based on the serial numbers they made some at the beginning of the year and more later in the year.

There are only a few of Custom shop super dealers that can post photos on the web. They must have a dealership agreement with Gibson that allows them to do that. Most mom and pop stores do not have that agreement so they can not post photos. I know at one time when looking for an Elegant, I called every Custom dealer listed on the Gibson site. It would be great if every dealer could post photos even for us that just like to look at them.

Archived