Gibson Brands Forums

Trad pro II vs Standard 2013

abracadaben

Hi,

Im new here and Im not sure if this has been discussed yet since the trad pro II and 2013 standard just came out.

So Im about to buy a les paul. though Id like to get your insight on a few things since Im not a gibson expert.

to start off, I tried both and like them both. Which is why Im not sure which to get.

I am looking for a les paul I can keep a few years (or even more) and just change pickups. Basically which is the best LP body

So far the differences I know off are the pickups of course, the finish (std has AAA and trad pro II has A grade), the trad pro II has satin back and sides when the std has glossy. The 2013 neck is new (still asymmetrical but more comfy than 2008).

the trad pro II has push push and the std has push pull. the std has a phase switch when the trad pro II has 10 db boost and split coil.

I haven't tried the trad pro with the BB III. The trad pro II has a super '57.

1) does anybody have any experience with super '57? if yes what is your feedback?

2) does the finish grade of the top has any impact on sound?

3) looking further down the road (when I eventually upgrade to a custom after saving), which of both would keep its value the best? By that I mean is it hard to resell a les paul that has only grade A top?

4) It seems to mee that push/pull would be more usefull than push/push even though push/push seems cooler. the problem Id see on the long term with push/push is that it can be hard to determine if its already pushed or not since you have to push for either position.

5) which is a better feature on the long run? split coil or phase switch?

6) it seems that the LP STD 2013 is also weight relief instead of chambered can you confirm? (though its different from suiss cheese).

7) regarding 6) is the STD 2013 weight relief actually better for sound?

also the traditional was another option but it seems that there aren't any push/pull switches on it.

thanks for reading this through and for your feedback

Both Great guitars IMO. I went with the Standard myself after considering both. My decision was based on the fact that I did not want to buy from Guitar Center or Musicians friend. I am very happy with my decision. If you look around you may be able to still get a new 2012 Standard and save some $$$. For less than the cost of a "13 with a AA top you may get a '12 with a AAA top, or if going for a plain top they can be had cheaper on the '12 as well.

Both Great guitars IMO. I went with the Standard myself after considering both. My decision was based on the fact that I did not want to buy from Guitar Center or Musicians friend. I am very happy with my decision. If you look around you may be able to still get a new 2012 Standard and save some $$$. For less than the cost of a "13 with a AA top you may get a '12 with a AAA top, or if going for a plain top they can be had cheaper on the '12 as well.

thanks for the prompt response. I have a deal opportunity at GC though which would bring the 2013 in my budget range and kind of drive where Id buy the guitar, and if its confirmed that the 2013 is not chambered then Id probably go for 2013.

Overall GC would not be my first place of choice to buy a guitar as it feels like a supermarket to me and you really have to inspect everything closely.

well I cracked again... So the STD I had tried was the 2012. The 2013 isn't out yet. Ships on the 5th.

So I have to mention that I just got a 20% coupon valid for a few days only... which brings it to $2,100.

I asked them to order a 2013 STD AAA for me. It should arrive on the 6th (overnight). Factory sealed. I asked to ship it to the store directly so I can unbox it there and test it there. But Ill be sure that nobody else has played on it which is cool.

there were only 20 available left for GC nation wide (with AAA top). until next batch of course.

I will then decide :D

Ill post some pics as soon as I get it.

I think you are right. I spent a long time trying to get some info, but seems that nobody really knows.

Just looking at Gibson's specs, it looks identical and in the best case, we can only speculate...

price wasnt a problem on my side. basically the 2012 AA was discounted already at GC so I could not apply my coupon on it. so the 2013 ended up being a little cheaper... and it will be factory sealed.

BTW I saw your pics of your guitar. OMG this is a beautiful piece!!! Honeyburst?

• 2 weeks later...

actually trad pro II is 2013. They just received them in November.

it has push/push knobs. so you don't have to pull them. its pretty cool for fast action but sometimes confusing (is it pushed?).

I had a trad pro II for a few days, loved it but switched for a standard premium plus (got a great deal). they are both great guitars but I prefer the standard...

actually trad pro II is 2013. They just received them in November.

it has push/push knobs. so you don't have to pull them. its pretty cool for fast action but sometimes confusing (is it pushed?).

I had a trad pro II for a few days, loved it but switched for a standard premium plus (got a great deal). they are both great guitars but I prefer the standard...

Thank you.

That's good news for me..:)

its a pretty good guitar from what I experienced.

here a cool video if you didn't see it yet:

Thanks.

That's a good video. I saw it. The Les Paul Traditional Pro II sounds excellent.

Except the usual awesome sound of the Les Pauls, what I especially like in this guitar the coil tapping and how it is done. It gives you a very wide range of sounds you can get from an electric guitar. Also there is the push-push coil splitting than the pull-push one. And moreover it is a good traditional Les Paul.

:)

I got two more questions.

1. Does the satin back of trad pro ii has any (bad) differences than the glossy back finish of 2013 standard (and 2012 standard)?

2. How does the 10db boost takes place? By a button, a hidden battery or how?

My concerns are almost identical with the starter of this thread. As far as I understood, the LP Trad Pro II is an almost similar guitar with 2012 and 2013 standards, except the pull-pull split coil (that's excellent for me) with almost complete single coil turn (than a slight hum canceling of the Standards) and plain top of Trad Pro II vs the AA (of 2012 Std) or AAA (of 2013 Std) flame tops (that's almost nonsense for me). And moreover, the Standards (of 2012 and 2013) have phase shifters while the Trad Pro's don't (that's also not much difference for me either).

I want to get a good all-rounder guitar which I can play blues rock, hard rock, classic rock and blues.

To be more exact, I am living in a distant land. I haven't seen these guitars but I am planning to order one from Thomann Germany, which Gibson says they will provide in 4-6 months.

In this case, I thought ordering a Traditional Pro II would be more suitable for me.

the 10db boost is push/push knob activated.

for the back the trad pro II has a 2 piece back when my standard 2012 is a 1piece back

Thanks!..:)

Both are excellent guitars as far as I can see. I am more confused.: [biggrin][thumbup]

I will try both and make a decision. It will be the best. I hope there will be some 2012 Standards in July 2013 when I'll be able to purchase my guitar...:)

• 9 months later...

Hi Ya

So we are clear this is the specs for the 2013 standard premium that I have and I can tell you it everything I expected and a hole lot more regardless of the tops Modern weight relief is a must I am no small guy and it fills so solid I had to get a really good neck strap for it as it's about 8.9lb and sound fantastic

you will not be sorry the different tops like A , AA ,AAA, AAAA in my honest opinion does no change the tone,hope this helps

good luck with your choice please let us know what you decide

Thanks

Specification Detail

Body Type Les Paul

Left-/Right-handed Right-handed

Body Material Mahogany, Modern weight relief

Top Material AAAA Flame Maple

Color Tea Burst

Neck Material Mahogany, Set

Neck Shape Asymmetrical '60s Slim taper

Scale Length 24.75"

Fingerboard Material Rosewood, Compound Radius

Fingerboard Inlay Trapezoid

Number of Frets 22

Bridge/Tailpiece Tone Pros locking Tune-o-Matic bridge and tailpiece

Tuners Locking Grover tuners

Number of Pickups 2

Neck Pickup BurstBucker Pro Humbucker

Middle Pickup No middle pickup

Bridge Pickup BurstBucker Pro Humbucker

Controls 2 x Volume, 2 x Tone, 3-way Switch, Push-pull Coil Tap, Phase Reverse, and Bypass

Case Included Hardshell case included

Manufacturer Part Number LPSAATSCH1

• 1 month later...

I went through the same comparison a few months ago. I chose the pro II. First it was $600 less, the '57 pickups had a warmer sound, I fell for the multiple choices of sounds from the switching (boost didn't do anything for me), the top was more "flamed", and it wasn't weight relieved. Now with that said, when in single coil, even when selector was in the middle, it had the single coil noise. There is one pot that doesn't have a switch on it and is "normal". The other pits felt like they wereof of an import. They were staticly. I wound up changing the electronics over to the same as the traditional and don't regret a moment of it.

Archived