Gibson Brands Forums

epiphone 335 pro vs epiphone dot-difference?

guitar_randy

• 4 weeks later...

The way I interpret the OP's question is to ask if there's a difference between a Chinese made Epi 335 dot and a Chinese made Epi 335 pro...

The answer is likely: not much. Epiphone guitars are made as replicas of Gibson guitars, and there is a cult of worship around the vintage Gibson ES-335 Dot.

That's the only reason Epi makes one. It's a replica of a highly regarded (and highly priced) vintage Gibson guitar. But it bears only superficial resemblance

to the original.

The Epi ES-335 Pro will include the Alnico pro pickups, and a set of coil splitting volume pots (which the Gibson ES-335 never had)

The fingerboard features 'fret-over" binding, which IMHO is highly superior to Gibson's traditional binding with the dawg-gone 'nibs."

I own two Epiphone guitars: a Wilshire and an ES-339 P-90 pro. Both feature this 'fret-over' binding and I like it right well.

I agree that it's a totally unnecessary bangle, and my other guitars with unbound necks have NO problems. No binding, no nibs, no problem.

But the humble Epiphones with their nicely bound necks have an elegance to them that we don't expect in an inexpensive guitar.

The Epi ES-339 Dot has no binding, and no inlays except the dots, and a different Epiphone Humbucker pickup, and a lower price tag.

The Epiphone bears little to no resemblance to the revered Gibson ES-335 Dot except in looks from a distance. This guitar is not expensive

compared to what... so it would be a great mod platform. I believe that the Dot and the ES-335 pro would sound much the same except

for the coil splitting, which is a pointless feature IMHO. If I want a single coil sound, I'll play my ES-339 P-90 pro.

So, IMHO... you go where they sell them, and play as many as they'll let you. Then pick the one that sounds and feels the best. Or the one

that is on sale. Mod it to your liking, and play the hell out of it. That's what I've done with my Epiphones.

I guess there's some differences in our own minds that count for some of us and not to others.

To me the big likeness of the Epi Dot and the Gibson is not the pups, but the main construction overall and the scale. Yup, "plywood" in both cases and the same scale and bridges, body block etc. on the same shape.

I guess I always figured playability first and let the amp and amp settings worry more about the "tone" than the pups or string choices.

Then again I never really thought in terms of copying whether the guitar or the music itself.

So functionally... the dot is a less expensive close copy of the 335.

m

I guess there's some differences in our own minds that count for some of us and not to others.

To me the big likeness of the Epi Dot and the Gibson is not the pups, but the main construction overall and the scale. Yup, "plywood" in both cases and the same scale and bridges, body block etc. on the same shape.

I guess I always figured playability first and let the amp and amp settings worry more about the "tone" than the pups or string choices.

Then again I never really thought in terms of copying whether the guitar or the music itself.

So functionally... the dot is a less expensive close copy of the 335.

m

Musciansfriend has the Epiphone 335 LE Pro at a price that is enough to give me GAS. I can't justify it, but wish I had a house large enough to litter the walls with Epiphones as decorations.

• 3 years later...

I've had a Dot for years and love the sound of the Alnico Classic Humbuckers. I test drove the the Epi ES 335 Pro  at Guitar Center and was not able to find that nice "growl". Different amp of course but still, wondering if is worth replacing the dot for nicer looks and coil splitting