Gibson Brands Forums

Change TOM to rosewood bridge?

gnappi

Two of my four hollow body arch tops have a rosewood bridge, and I note that many of the higher end arch tops (super 400, some L5's etc.) also have an all wood bridge. So I started thinking about the possibilities of why? Then what would be the benefit or detriment to my 175 if I were to get a rosewood bridge?

Given it's done by a luthier is it harder to set / keep intonation? String buzz? Do they provide a more mellow sound? Are they totally impractical?

Finally, why wood bridges on higher end guitars? Is it because they want model differentiation? Or is it more expensive to do right? or other issues?

Thx,

Gary

Two of my four hollow body arch tops have a rosewood bridge, and I note that many of the higher end arch tops (super 400, some L5's etc.) also have an all wood bridge. So I started thinking about the possibilities of why? Then what would be the benefit or detriment to my 175 if I were to get a rosewood bridge?

Given it's done by a luthier is it harder to set / keep intonation? String buzz? Do they provide a more mellow sound? Are they totally impractical?

Finally, why wood bridges on higher end guitars? Is it because they want model differentiation? Or is it more expensive to do right? or other issues?

Thx,

Gary

Gibson makes high-end guitars with either wood or T-O-M bridges, sometimes on the same model. None of your suppositions are correct--it doesn't differentiate models, it's not more expensive either way and there aren't other issues, other than they sound different.

I always try guitars both ways. Sometimes the wood bridge sounds better, sometimes the T-O-M. I usually find out that I like it best the way it came from the factory, but not always. I have two LeGrands--both came with T-O-Ms, but I found that I like one of them better with a wood saddle. Gibson usually made the L-5 Signature with a metal bridge, but the Lee Rit version has ebony, which makes it more mellow.

Danny W.

Gibson makes high-end guitars with either wood or T-O-M bridges, sometimes on the same model. None of your suppositions are correct--it doesn't differentiate models, it's not more expensive either way and there aren't other issues, other than they sound different.

I always try guitars both ways. Sometimes the wood bridge sounds better, sometimes the T-O-M. I usually find out that I like it best the way it came from the factory, but not always. I have two LeGrands--both came with T-O-Ms, but I found that I like one of them better with a wood saddle. Gibson usually made the L-5 Signature with a metal bridge, but the Lee Rit version has ebony, which makes it more mellow.

Danny W.

Thanks Danny, that's what I'm looking for, cases where changing bridges to wood made a difference in sound. It appears as if there are two types, a "violin" which conforms to the arched top, and a solid that needs to be fitted. It would seem as if the forming of the violin type would make the height adjustment standoffs angle away from the center making adjustment hard or impossible? What type is best and would Gibson be my best source?

Thanks,

Gary

As built, my L-7 came with a rosewood bridge, and my L-5CES came with an ABR-1. I have since changed out the L-5 to a custom hand-carved ebony bridge, and couldn't be more satisfied.

As for the conversion on a 175, you do not need to change the base, the post spacings are standard. You need only find a bridge (or saddle, whatever you want to call it, the TOP PART) to fit the "American" Gibson post spacing. This is a part that Gibson WILL NOT sell you, I even tried to go through "authorized dealers", so an aftermarket parts house, or custom carved, is your only source.

Two things to keep in mind while shopping....

1. Asian made guitars, and parts made for Asian made guitars MAY NOT have the proper post hole spacing. Double check your guitar and any considered parts.

2. And here's the kicker... I have NEVER seen a commercially available wooden bridge that was compensated correctly for proper intonation (yes, including Gibson bridges). The offset for the "G" string is never correct. Legend has it that this position was for a "wound G", and this is BS for I play flatwound strings with a wound "G". Close enough IS NOT good enough for me, so I hand carved a bridge based on the saddle locations of a perfectly intonated T-O-M. The actual locations of the offsets are not much different than a guitar with roundwound rock & roll strings with a "plain G".

Here's the finished product:

5923888423_3b60ac2061.jpg

Here's the prototype I made based on the Gibson bridge on my L-7 which DID NOT work. Note the different location of the "G" string offset.

5923888245_1639c9fd38.jpg

I bought a NOS Gibson ebony bridge with the two footed base off E-bay for around $65.00 and put it on my L-4CES. I use the Gibson L-5 12 ga. strings but as Larry says the intonation is not perfect on the G string. The round wound strings on the ebony bridge gives me just the sound I was after. The stock bridge and base have been in the case ever since. It was a cheep and quick way of checking out the sound. I may take the guitar into Hoffman Guitar and see if they can adjust the intonation on the bridge as long as there is enough wood in the correct places. try it, you may like it.

Thanks John

I have a number of guitars with TOMs, intonated with a StroboFlip, all strung with T-I Benson round .012" and none of which have the saddles in the same locations. Some are not much different from the standard Gibson ebony saddle, some are quite different. After I change strings I often have to move some of the saddles.

Here are the saddles from four different, properly intonated Gibson L-5 Signatures plus a wooden saddle for reference. I was too lazy to take photos of each of them, so I just screen-shot these off a group photo--hope the quality is sufficient to show my point:

Tomcompositejpg_zps05f21195.jpg

This tells me that if you want the best intonation use a TOM. The intonation on my guitars with wood saddles is pretty good and if one string is really out, changing the string usually improves that. In any case, even a custom wood saddle is not an eternal solution, although it may do the trick for now. It's even less of a solution if you ever change string brands or gauges.

Danny W.

Archived