Gibson Brands Forums

LP Custom SG in Mahogany finish?

Ricktoo

Hi all, this is my first post, and I'm hoping I can pick some brains here about a geourgous guitar I just aquired. It is an Epi Les Paul Custom SG, however, it is not antique white or ebony, it has a mahogony stain with a satin finish much like the faded brown g-400. It has all gold hardware, 3 pickups, neck and headstock bindings, grover tuners and basically all the specs of the LP Custom SG but I can't find a serial # or info anywhere on or about the guitar.

I even went so far as to take the rear electronics cover off just to be sure there wasn't some id markings in there. I'm hoping some of the Gibson/Epi guru's here might be able to help me identify this beautiful guitar. If needed or if it would be helpful I can try to upload some pics to photo bucket or some other pic hosting site, just let me know and i'll try to make it so.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum Rick. [thumbup]

Most serials are located on the back of the headstock, at the top.

You don't see any numbers/letters stamped back there?

And without pics, it would very difficult to say.

Post some pics of the whole guitar and front/back of the headstock.

I think I know this guitar...

Where I used to live (Kingston, Ontario) it used to pop up on kijiji in some of the surrounding areas, with some different hardware (gold metal knobs, and some other things, if I remember correctly).

That's if it's the guitar I'm thinking of. If it is, then I remember that it's second owner refinished it, and changed some hardware.

Well, thats definately unsettling since I live in Kingston and got it from a guy in Belleville. Any idea if it was actually an LP Custom SG, or whether it was antique white or ebony originally? Obviously without a serial number it's going to be impossible to find that out so anything you can tell me is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum, Ricktoo. Cool to hear from someone in my old area.

It was originally Belleville that it was advertised in, and I do remember that the original ad stated that it was the second owner selling it and that they had refinished it a couple years before they had decided to sell it. I want to say that they had said it was a Korean built ebony/black model, but I can't be sure. When I still lived there and it was advertised, it had gold knobs, but other than that, I can't say I know anything about it. I think it first popped up probably two and a half years ago, and the seller had a very high price, and wasn't particularly aggressive in trying to sell it (let the ad expire, and then waited a bit before re-posting).

I thought about responding a couple of times with a lower offer or a trade, but I wasn't ever greatly interested, partially because I don't really use anything other than my bridge pickup. I did think the refin looked cool from the pics they used though.

By the way, watch out for the flame top LP Custom advertised in Belleville that has the Bigsby, and GFS Firebird and P90 pickups. That's been there a while, and it's a counterfeit.

Thanks very much for your time and information, I have emailed the guy I got it from about this in the hopes he honors our original agreement for a cherry red G-400 or return my Kramer to me. I have'nt heard back yet but he seemed like a nice guy, so i'm trying to be optomistic.

Again, thanks for the help.

Archived