Gibson Brands Forums

Locking Tuners

rkreisher

I am looking for Locking Tuners that will be a direct fit for my Gibson Les Paul Studio. From what I can tell they are Klunson-type machine heads. I would prefer to keep my guitar as close to stock as possible, but I do prefer locking tuners on all my guitars. I have seen some on Musicians Friend's site that I think would work, but as I have no experience with this brand not sure if these will be the best fit for my guitar. See link below for what I am looking at:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/kluson-kb3l-keystone-locking-guitar-tuning-machines--3-per-side-bolt-bushing

I am looking at the chrome ones. I have heard of other brands, but not sure if they would be a direct fit change wothout any drilling involved.

Any help would be helpful...

I see that no one here has any advise for a newbie. Friendly Place y'all have here.

RK

I am looking for Locking Tuners that will be a direct fit for my Gibson Les Paul Studio. From what I can tell they are Klunson-type machine heads. I would prefer to keep my guitar as close to stock as possible, but I do prefer locking tuners on all my guitars. I have seen some on Musicians Friend's site that I think would work, but as I have no experience with this brand not sure if these will be the best fit for my guitar. See link below for what I am looking at:

http://www.musicians...de-bolt-bushing

I am looking at the chrome ones. I have heard of other brands, but not sure if they would be a direct fit change wothout any drilling involved.

Any help would be helpful...

Take a picture of the back of the head stock on your guitar and we can tell if these will work or not

+1

So I would guess that you checked the reviews? I'd be confused too. Some people had to modify their guitar, and others were able to do this as a direct replacement. (looks like the Reissues were not a direct replacement, but the newer standards were)

So at the very least a picture would help to see if your existing tuning keys are kluson style, but I don't think that's going to give you a 100% sure answer. (If you have grovers, you're at least going to have to change the mounting screw holes.)

Maybe review the specs and get as much detail on the measurement then remove an existing tuners and compare measurements. Worse case scenario is, they're close, but not direct replacement and you have to send them back, but MF has a very good returns policy, so you're not going to be stuck with them if they don't fit, but chances are if you have Klusons now, they're probably going to work.

Good luck!

/KB

• 2 months later...

I ended up going with Grover locking tuners. Slight modification in the holes, but well worth the mod. Since I am keeping this guitar forever, I do not need to worry about resale value down the road.

I also ended up putting on a 5 ply black pick guard, looks absolutely awesome.

Archived